thirty - "painting your fucking face across the concrete"

"What are your plans for Christmas?" Brad asks, sliding into the seat next to me as I sit in the library

The last two weeks had been the most enjoyable in a while. Brad and I weren't arguing and were instead joking with each other, Thomas and Britt had been out of sight and I was passing my classes.

"To eat everything."

"I'm serious," he frowns at me as he closes the book I'm reading, adding to the small pile to my left while he sits on my right.

"I am, too," I laugh and he rolls his eyes. "Why does it matter to you? I finally get two weeks where I don't have to see you."

"Because I wanna get you a present and I don't want you to be busy when I finally give it to you," he explains.

"I have no plans," I tell him. "I have no one to make plans with."

Brad nods, "Okay. I'll talk to your mum about the present, make sure you're free."

"How are you gonna do that?"

"She gave me her number," he shrugs, leaning against the table, his arms forward. "Soon, she'll be divorcing Carl and marrying me."

"You wish," I snort.

"She wishes," Brad chuckles, his eyes boring into mine. "I wouldn't do that. I've got my eyes on one girl only."

I feel my cheeks heat up and I quickly turn to the side, picking up my books so he doesn't see my red cheeks.

"I'm gonna check out these books, I'll see you in a bit."

"Okay. I'm gonna grab some lunch anyway," he nods, standing up and handing me my books as I sling my bag over my shoulder. "I'll see you later?"

"Definitely."

He smiles and waves goodbye before leaving me in the library again. I walk over to the librarian's desk and he happily scans my books out for me before wishing me a good rest of the day.

I decide to dump my books off at the dorm and get some food from the canteen since it was Taco Tuesday and I had sudden cravings at the realisation that was being sold.

I start my walk up to the dorm, my books in my hand as I hum quietly to myself, smiling at some people I recognised.

It was only when my books were knocked out of my hands that my smile falters and I quickly scramble to pick them up, glancing at the person who had purposely pushed them onto the floor.

"Thomas. Long time no see," I purse my lips as I stand back up, holding the books tightly to my chest as his eyes look deadly and threatening. I subconsciously take a step back.

"You're a fucking cow, I hope you know that."

"What?"

"You're the reason Britt and I broke up, you know?" He snaps, his tone laced with venom. "She couldn't handle not being your best friend anymore and she felt guilty. I don't get why she wanted to be friends with a bitch like you, really."

"I didn't know that she broke up with you because of that. She hasn't spoken to me in a while."

"I don't know why she wants to be friends with you. Your dress sense is embarrassing and you're fat and ugly and no one fucking likes you."

"I don't think you telling me that is necessary," I say, swallowing the lump in my throat. "You're just telling me stuff I've already heard and you're making yourself look like boo boo the fool now."

He pushes me back slightly, causing me to stumble over and land on my arse. I quickly stand back up, surprised by his aggressive actions. My butt hurt and I was emotionally hurt by what he was telling me, even though I was trying to look strong on the outside.

"I told you to watch your fucking back and you and your boy toy have done nothing but screw everything up for me. You're a fucking slut and I'm fed up of—"

He moves to push me back again but he's stopped when a body steps in between us. I let out a sigh of relief, my shoulders dropping as I notice Brad pushing Thomas away from me.

"You're so lucky we are at uni right now otherwise I'd be painting your fucking face across the concrete," Brad snarls. "Who the fuck do you think you are pushing her about? You're pathetic. Stay away from her before I fucking kill you."

Thomas opens his mouth to say something but Brad turns to face me, grabbing my hand and moving us away from a swearing Thomas as he shouts names at us both. My head was spinning, trying to catch up on what just happened while we walk quickly to our dorm.

Brad unlocks the dorm and I walk in, dumping my books on my bed. I jump slightly at the sound of Brad slamming the door shut and I turn to see him with his fists clenched, his eyes shut and he lets out a breath to calm himself down.

"Thank you," I say quietly, trying to hold back tears from slipping. Thomas' words really stung. "For defending me, and everything."

He opens his eyes, scanning over my face as I look down at the floor, fiddling with his fingers. He walks over slowly and pulls me in for a hug, his arms over my shoulder as he holds me tightly while my arms wrap around his torso.

"Always."

We don't move for a second or two but he moves away, wiping away a tear I hadn't notice fall before sitting us both down on the bed.

"What did he say to you?" He asks with a small frown, and I wipe away some more tears that have fallen.

"It doesn't matter. I'll get over it."

"You're not over it now, though. Tell me what he said before I go and break his face," he holds me closely.

I sigh, my eyes focused on the floor, "he said I was a slut and he hated my fashion sense and that I was ugly and that I was fat—"

"I should've ripped his head off of his body," he stands up off of the bed, running his hand through his hair as he paces across the dorm room. "I'm gonna fucking kill him, I am."

"Please calm down," I grab his hand as I stand up. He laces his fingers with mine and I give them a reassuring squeeze. "I'll be fine."

"I don't care, I doesn't mean I shouldn't kill him."

"He made you cry. He pushed you. He fucking touched you," Brad argues. "I have every reason to absolutely murder him."

"Don't give him the attention," I shake my head, cutting him off before he started ranting. "Don't stoop to his level. Stay here with me instead."

"I'll stay. But that doesn't mean I'm not gonna kill him afterwards for hurting you."

unedited.