twenty two - "youre harder to kidnap"

Brad had already left for his week break by the time I'd woken up

Brad had already left for his week break by the time I'd woken up. I felt relief wash through me as I remember last night and that seeing him this morning would be awkward.

Currently, I sit on a train home to Sutton while texting my brother. I couldn't help but feel aware of the aching down below and I knew it was because of last night.

I shake my head to clear my thoughts as I arrive at the train station. I grab my bag and get off of the train, walking to the pick-up lane outside the train station where my mum and Daniel waited for me.

I was thankful I left most of my clothes at home since it meant I didn't have to bring a suitcase back and forth every holiday for the next few years.

Daniel leant against the car door on his phone while my mum rang someone inside the car. As soon as Daniel notices me walking towards him, he puts his phone away and smiles over to me, pulling me into a hug.

I laugh and hug him back, resting my head against his chest as he slowly span us around, "I missed you, midget."

"I'm still not a midget," I roll my eyes at him even though he couldn't see it. We move away and I knock on the passenger door window and wave at my mum who returns the wave quickly before turning away. "What's up with her?"

"She had an argument with Carl," Daniel shrugs, opening the door for me to get in. I thank him and climb in, fastening my seat belt and my mum ends the call with a sigh before turning to face me with a faux smile.

"Hey, sweetheart," she says, and I reach over to give a kiss on the cheek. She turns around and fastens her seat belt before we leave the train station.

The ride was filled with casual conversation, mostly about my progress in university since the last time we spoke. It didn't take long before we pulled up at our two story house and were inside.

"I'm starving," I state as I dump my bag on the floor and sling my shoes to the side. It was nice to be back in my house after being away for so long.

"You're not starving, you're hungry," my mum scolds me as I follow her in to the kitchen. "Only people living in poverty are starving."

"Alright, alright," I put my hands up in defence.

"Well now you're an adult you can make your own food," Daniel chuckles as he walks past me, grabbing an apple from the counter and I roll my eyes at him, taking a seat at the kitchen island.

"Suddenly I'm not hungry anymore," I snark. "I need to stop eating so much anyway, I'm gonna get fat again."

My mum shoots me a look, "you weren't fat in the first place."

"And you're not now," Daniel agrees. "Besides, people that weigh more are less likely to get kidnapped so if you did gain wait, you're less likely to get kidnapped too."

"You're a fucking weirdo," I mumble, watching my mum make me some toast as Daniel takes a seat besides me. "So what are the plans for this week?"

"Halloween is on Monday so tomorrow we're going to get some decorations and put them up," my mum decides. She had a thing for the traditional holidays and loved to go overboard. One year, she bought a smoke machine 'for the atmosphere' and of course everything looked impeccable because of her OCD. "And then the boys are at work on the weekdays but we have the weekend before you go back to do whatever you want."

"Sounds fun," I give her a smile and take a bite of the toast that my mum had made for me. Daniel ends up disappearing upstairs, leaving just me and my mum. "I heard you and Carl had an argument, what happened?"

My mum glances over at me and lets out a sigh, "it's not big deal, really. We're just both stressed out and we clashed. That's what happens when you live with someone, you argue."

She wasn't wrong.

"But it's fine," she shrugs, cleaning the counter with a brand new cloth and scratches to get rid of marks that I didn't know existed. "We're gonna talk tonight, it helps if we talk about our feelings."

I nod, slowly. Talking about feelings is something Brad had managed to avoid as much as we could and there was definitely mixed signals between us.

My cheeks flush at the thought of last night and how vulnerable I was under Brad's touch but I shake my head quickly to clear my thoughts.

Brad was just a friend and last night meant nothing.

"What about this?" I point out a werewolf costume, showing my brother who only rolled his eyes at me.

"I've been a werewolf for the past four years," he shakes his head but I grab the costume anyway and put it in the trolley. "Margo! What are you doing?"

"Keeping the tradition of you being a werewolf," I conclude with a triumphant smirk and he only huffs at me, looking at costumes.

"Fine, I get to choose your costume then," he decides and I raise my eyebrows at him. "It's only fair."

"Go ahead," I challenge him. My mum only rolls her eyes dismissively at us as she walks off. Daniel takes his time looking over the many outfits he could choose from before picking up a Mario outfit, and it even came with a fake moustache to wear. "Oh my—"

"It's perfect!" He decides and speed walks to mum and throws the costume in before I can stop him and take the costume away from him. I roll my eyes and sigh in defeat, following my older brother and my mother around the store as they picked up decorations and pumpkins that no doubt we're going to carve later.

I end up choosing some fake skeletons for decorations and sling one over my shoulders, their arms hanging over one side while the legs dropped from another, it's spine rubbing against my neck.

I turn to face my brother, my hand holding the skeleton's, so that I could wave with it at him, but all I see is a mop of brown curls zooming past me and I frown, scowling at the person before finding my brother.

"Is that a fake skeleton?" My brother muses as I find him and I nod, laughing as I dump it into the trolley too, causing my mum to give me a small smile as she chose what sizes she should choose for her pumpkins, as well as checking they're all identical.

"I got some of our favourite sweets for the trick or treaters," my brother smirks knowingly. "You know what that means?"

"We eat the sweets while we wait for them?" I raise my eyebrows and he nods, causing me to give him a high five approvingly. "You, you're a genius."

"You know it."

unedited.

omg filler it's so bad bye