FORMING FAMILY BEFORE THE EXAMS

I met up with Naruto, Jok, and Reggie outside the arena.

"Hey guys!" I grinned, slinging an arm over Naruto's shoulder and putting all my weight on him.

"Gah! Kota-nii!" He laughed, trying to stay up.

"Hey Kota" Reggie grunted sleepily.

"My dear Kota! How have you been?!" Jok yelled as he hugged me.

"Training." I replied with a small laugh, pushing the eccentric boy off. We walked into the arena, talking about what we all did the past month, and I ran into a hard chest. "Oof! Sorry about that." I apologized quickly, bowing to whoever it was.

"Don't worry about it Kota." A familiar voice chuckled. I looked up at Kankuro with a wide grin.

"Oh hey!" I said, straightening. I threw my arms around his neck in a tight hug, laughing when he picked me up and spun me around. When he set me down I grinned at him, Temari, and Gaara. "What're you guys doing here?"

"Really Kota...." Reggie sighed. Then I blinked and blushed heavily in embarrassment.

"Oh yeah..." I said with a sheepish laugh. They all laughed at me, save for Gaara and Reggie, as I scratched my head. "Eheheh... So how are you guys? Gaara? Temari?"

"I'm good Kota." Temari smiled, still giggling.

"I'm fine as well." Gaara said stoically. I smiled as I held my arms open.

"Hug." I ordered. He blinked in surprise before his gaze hardened again.

"No." He said coldly. My own eyes narrowed.

"Hug." I said in a firmer tone.

"No." He growled.

"HUG!" I yelled.

"NO!" He yelled back.

At least he's showing emotion.

"Hug me or I'll throw a water bomb at you." I threatened.

"You wouldn't." He growled.

"Try me..." I said with a return growl.

"..........."

"..........."

He was distracted, arguing with himself, so I simply stepped forward and hugged him tightly, holding his head to my shoulder securely. I wanted to hug him at least once before the attack goes down.

Gaara froze in shock. I set my cheek on top of his head.

"I know what's going on between our villages." I whispered so low only he could hear. He cringed and tried to pull away, but I just hugged him tighter. "I knew the whole time. I'm not mad at you Gaara. I'm just a little sad. You don't have to do this, because the kazekage isn't who you think he is. But if you do, I won't be mad, because I've got a plan. And if you ever need to talk, or cry, or you just feel like you're alone, I don't care what time it is, what day it is, what mood you're in. You come find me. I'll always be here for you, just like Kankuro and Temari. You're like a second little brother to me Gaara, and just like my biological brother, I'd do anything to keep you safe."

He stayed frozen and I began to loosen my hold on him. As I took a step back, his arms wrapped around my waist and he hugged me tightly, his shoulders shaking. His sand created a done around us so no one could see.

"Thank you Kota-chan, and I'm sorry." He said, his raspy voice quivering. I shook off my shock and hugged him back.

"It's okay Gaara. It's okay." I whispered gently, rubbing circles in his back.

"Please don't hate me, but I have to listen to the kazekage."

"I could never hate you Gaara." I said, putting my hand under his chin and making him look up at me as I pulled away. I smiled warmly at him. "Besides, I've got a plan, remember? Everything will be okay." I lightly kissed his forehead and his eyes widened further before filling with tears. I hugged him tightly. "And I don't care who it is. If anyone calls you a monster or tries to bully you, you say 'you know what? I don't need you. Because I've got a brother and sister here in the village that love me and a knuckle headed bestfriend in the Leaf. And I've also got a theoretical sister in the Leaf, and one word from me and she'll pop up here and kick your ass.'" I told him with a goofy laugh. I heard a choking sound that sounded somewhat like a laugh, but also like a sob.

"Hey Gaara! Kota! What's going on?!" Kankuro yelled through the dome worriedly. I pulled away and ruffled Gaara's hair with a crooked grin as little grains of sand sucked up his tears.

"The test will be starting soon, alright lil bro?" I said. The corners of his lips curled up slightly.

"Okay."

The sand fell and I threw an arm around Gaara's neck as I did the same to Naruto, pulling them to me and crouching so our cheeks were all smooshed together as I grinned goofily.

"Now I have two theoretical little brothers to add on to the family!" I laughed. "Temari, you could be my theoretical sister. Reggie, Jok, you two don't have a choice in the matter. You were family as soon as we were put on a team."

Temari shook off her shock and smiled, nodding as Jok and Reggie smiled.

"Am I forgotten?" Kankuro pouted. I rolled my eyes and let go of the boys, stretching up and kissing his cheek.

"Of course not." I smiled. "Now.... To the test!"