Training Trip

"Gramps!" I yelled, bursting through his office doors loudly, a wide grin on my face as I jumped at him. I haven't seen him since I made a deal with that reaper. I was careful not to hurt him with my metal limbs as I hugged him.

"Ah! Kota!" He said cheerfully. "I see you've finally gotten your new arm and leg! I'm sorry I didn't come to visit."

"Don't worry about it." I grinned before turning really serious. "But gramps, there's something we really need to talk about."

"What is it?" He asked, tilting his head.

"I want permission to leave the village."

"What?!" He and Kakashi both yelled, making me realize what I had said.

"Not permanently!" I added quickly. "Just for a couple of years. And not at this very moment either!"

"But why?" Gramps asked, frowning. "Don't you like it in Konaha?"

"Of course!" I said loudly. "Gramps, please. I can explain when I get back. I'm not going to the akatsuki or that damned snake. I'm not sure what I'm going for, but something deep in my gut is telling me I need to get out of the village for a little bit." I said, looking at my feet. "I can't explain it, it's just-"

"Very well." He cut me off and I looked up in shock at his sad smiling face. "I trust you to return to us safely and hope you find what you're looking for. You're allowed to leave the village when you wish, just.... Please stop by and say goodbye when it's time..." He said sadly. I nodded.

"I wouldn't dream of leaving without letting you know gramps. Thank you."

~•~

I packed some clothes, my bear, and some weapons into a backpack. It's been a month since I asked gramps for permission to leave, and I've decided it's time.

"Are you leaving?"

I paused and turned around to see Kakashi leaning on my door frame, arms crossed and casual posture, yet his eyes held sadness.

"I'm afraid so." I sighed, setting a fedora firmly on my head. "I'm sorry, but I feel like its time."

He was silent a while an I, feeling like he was angry with me, avoided his gaze and put one last bomb in my backpack and zipped it up, taking a deep breath.

"Listen Kakashi, I-"

Strong arms wrapped around my shoulders from behind, making me stop mid-sentence and look up in shock.

"I know what you're thinking, and I'm not mad at you." He murmured. My eyes widened further as I heard his voice crack slightly. "I'll always stand by anything you do, Kota, because you're a good kid. Don't forget that, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise."

I couldn't hold it in any longer, so I spun around in his grip and threw my arms around him, hugging him as tightly as I could.

"I'm sorry, I'll miss you..." I whispered. "And I'll be back as soon as possible."

"I know you will." He said, pulling away and wiping a few tears that fell from my eyes as I gazed up at him. "And I'll be waiting right here when you do. So you better be ready for a test for me to see your new strength." He smirked. I smiled, and hugged him tighter, burying my face in his chest. Then I realized something that made me start crying.

"I'm sorry, you know." I whimpered suddenly. "At the chunin exams, when I said you weren't my dad.... I-I didn't mean it. You're the closest thing to a dad I've got, Kakashi. You'll always be exactly like a father to me."

He kissed the top of my head and hugged me tighter.

"I know you didn't mean it sweetheart." He whispered. "And you're like a daughter to me, as well." He pulled away and smiled at me. "Now, I'll meet you at the gate, you go tell Sarutobi-San and anyone else. Unless you want me to come."