Chapter 31

Chapter 31: Amber’s POV

                “I can’t believe I’m engaged.” I say as I look down at my ring. Andy was at the studio so I was at home with little Journey. She was in her crib upstairs but at some point I was going to bring her down here after her nap to join me in her little baby swing.

                There was a knock at my door. I frowned as I got up to see who it was. I opened the door and there he was once again. My father. His hair looked shaggy, he had a long beard that didn’t look sanitary in the slightest. His clothes were stained and he reeked of alcohol and vomit. “What the hell do you want?” I hissed as I crossed my arms over my chest.

                “I just wanted to see how my baby girl was doing.” He grinned. He looked down at my stomach. “I see you have had the baby…” He looked up at me and I nodded. He started to walk in further but I pushed him back.

                “You’re not fucking allowed in my house.” I snapped at him.

                “I beg your pardon-”

                “No you heard me. Go.” I snapped at him again, shutting the door in his face and locking it. I quickly went upstairs to see if my yells woke her up. I reached her room upstairs and I picked her up out of her crib. “Hey Journey.” I smiled as I kissed her head.

                She looked up at me with her bright blue eyes. I held her in a different position as I started to head downstairs with her. I heard a car roll into the driveway. Once I reached the bottom floor I saw Andy’s black mustang in the driveway. He got out and he went up the pathway and got up to the porch, then opening the front door. “Hey Amber.” He smiled. He walked over to me and gave me a kissed on the cheek. “And Hello Joy.” He smiled as he took Journey from me.

                “My dad came back here…” I shook as I ran my hand through my now dark brown hair. I decided to go to a more neutral look sense now I am a mother. I stopped teasing my hair and I mostly left it wavy. I still dressed the same though and I kept my make up the same because I could NEVER change that.

                “What did he want?” Andy growled which made Journey look a bit frightened by the tensions in Andy’s muscles. He quickly kissed her head as he tried to calm himself down for her.

                “He didn’t say. He said he wanted to ‘see me’ but I refused to let him in.” I said and he nodded.

                “I don’t want him in the same house as Journey. I don’t trust him.” Andy sighed.

                “Neither do I. He looked even worse. I mean at first he looked groomed but now he looks like a hobo who only spends the money he gets on booze.” I said disgusted. “Can we bring CC over? I always feel better whenever I run into dad and I see him afterwards. Like when I was little.” I explained and Andy nodded.

                “See this is what sucks about being an only child.” Andy sighed as he grabbed the home phone.

                “At least you didn’t have to share your toys.” I grinned. Andy chuckled lightly as he pressed the call button. He listened in and he smiled, guessing he picked up.

                “Hey CC. Amber wants you to come over.” He said. There was a pause, CC obviously talking. “Your dad came over here today and she’s a bit shaken up.” Andy explained. Andy’s face grew to a grin. “Alright see you in a few.” He hung up and set the phone down. “He’s coming in a minute.” He said and I nodded.

                I sat on the couch and I kept Journey in my arms. The doorbell rang which sparked her interest. I grinned at her curious expression as I went to go answer the door. I used my free hand to let CC in. He was standing on the porch with a serious but soft face. “Hey Brother!” I said happily.

                “Hey Sista!” He gave me a side hug so he didn’t crush Journey. I handed the little baby over to CC so he could greet her. “Hey Uncle CC’s here!” He told her which made her smile like crazy. He sat on the sofa chair as Andy walked in, joining me on the couch. “So dad came over huh?” CC sighed as he let Journey play with his index finger.

                “Yeah. He looked horrifying.” I shuttered.

                “I thought the last time we saw him he was all cleaned up?” CC asked confused.

                “Well maybe he thought it was Halloween.” Andy joked.

                “Today he looked like a drunk hobo and smelled like he belongs in the sewer.” I said disgusted. “I didn’t dare to let him in with Journey upstairs. I don’t trust him.” I said and CC nodded.

                “I wouldn’t let him near Journey either. She probably wouldn’t be able to handle the smells.” CC pointed and Andy and I nodded. I excused myself to go upstairs to be alone for a bit. I went into the bedroom and I looked around for a bit, playing with the ends of my brown hair.

                I turned my head to a portrait when I was first born. CC, Mom, Dad, and little Amber. I feel tear trail down my cheek. I picked. I collapsed to the ground and held my right hand over my mouth. My families torn apart. I couldn’t control my emotions anymore. I choked on my tears, trying to hold them back but it’s all gone now.

                Was my brother dying inside? Weirdly enough for me to ask myself but was my dad dying inside? Was my mother’s soul dying inside? I let the black tears due to mascara fall onto the photo frame. I turned the other way to see a frail looking woman. Probably 50. She had dark, long, curly hair. She was pale with sad eyes that had that burning look.

                “I’m so sorry honey.” She whispered as wings poked out of her back. A halo appeared and soon she floated up to the ceiling and I she was gone.

                “Please…” I begged, tearing up and getting up from the floor. I reached my hand up to the ceiling, trying to follow her. “Take me with…” I begged. “I would love to follow you.” I choked out. I got up and went to the master bathroom and I looked in the mirror. My brown eyes were red and puffy. I just cried at my reflection. My reflection looked stomped on.

                She looked like she was done.