Chapter 35

Zavians P.O.V.

My drug addicted,prostitute of a mother is standing In front of me when I open the door. This can't be happening. She's shaking and rubbing her arms like she's cold. It's 98° degrees outside. I shake my head she's on that stuff right now. She looks so fragile. So bony looks like if I just flick her that she'll break. It hurts me so much to see her like this. My own mama. She's been looking down at the ground but finally she looks up at me. Her deep brown eyes piercing mine.

"Mama.."

"Heey Baby." She says her voice shaking. I get a glimpse of her teeth rotten and about to fall out. My eyes water. Hate to see my mama like this.

I grab her and wrap her In my arms. She starts shaking even harder than before. Tears falling on my bare chest. I rub her back and tears fall out of my own eyes. Genesis comes up behind me pulling us both into the house and shutting the door.

I sit my mama down on the couch and she's still violently shaking. Genesis gives me a worried look. I tell her to go get me a blanket. She comes back with one and hands it to me. I wrap the blanket around her shoulders but she continues to shake.

"Mama talk to me." She's silent for a minute until finally she speaks.

"Well um I heard that you um... Got drafted last night. First one or something like that and um I just wanted to congratulate you and." She pauses. Putting her hands behind her neck to unclasp a necklace. That I didn't see earlier. "To give you this." On the necklace is a ring and a cross. She hands it to me closing my hand around it and smiling. "The ring was my daddys and the cross was my mamas. I was gonna give it to you wgeb you graduated but..." She pauses and the shaking comes back and tears start to come again. My arms instantly pull them around her.

"Shhh mama it's ok. I understand." I say trying to soothe her. She pulls away.

"I just want you to have it and pass it on to your children. When the time is right." She kisses me on the cheek before she gets up and starts to walk towards the door.

"Wait mama. Let me get you some help. Get you into rehab." She shakes her head.

"Noooo nooo.. I don't need rehab baby. I'm just fine." She says shaking her head and wrapping the blanket around her body tightly.

"Mama don't lie to me. You're shaking and you're cold and it's Sumner time. Mama I'm not stupid."

"Baby...just-there's nothing you can do. Just let me be!" She screams.

"Ms.Jennifer please let him help you. Let us help you." Genesis speaks for the first time since my mama has been here. My mama looks at her as if trying to see if she knows her. Then finally she says.

"Oh Geneva baby!" She tries to walk over to Genesis but falls. I rush over to help her up. Whispering In her ear Genesis.

"Oh I'm sorry. Genesis!"

She's not leaving this house not right now. I can't.

"Mama you're gonna stay here with me okay."

"Nooooo no!!! I have to leave!" She screams and kicks.

"Just for today please mama.."

"Nooooooo I can't I uh have to leave...have to go to work." I want to blow up so bad. I'm not gonna let my anger get the best of me though.

"Just a few hours please mama." She calms down just a little bit.

"Ok a few hours...ok.. Ok." I keep her In my arms. Just wanting to hold her. I look over at Genesis and she has tears In her eyes. I can tell she's about to burst out crying. She throws her hand up and quickly walks back to the bathrooms. The door slams and I can hear some of her sobs floating down the hallway. My mama just keeps shaking her head and mumbling ok. Flinging her fingers over and over again. I'll do anything to see my mama healthy and off of these drugs. I'm gonna help her. When I was a little boy I thought that she was fine and that it all was just a game she would play with me. Reality came In and knocked me down hard on my ass. This is the first time that I've actually seen my mama In about two years. She's been on the street for as long as I could remember though. I'm gonna get her off of em though. It's gonna take some time but I don't care.