Chapter 20: Is This Happiness?

I woke up the next day in a hospital thinking to myself, how am I not dead? I started to stare up at the ceiling before turning my head and trying to capture my gaze. My eyes widen as I thought that it was Ashton but it wasn't, it was Derek. He sat nearby my hospital bed, sleeping silently like a mouse. The window that curtain's opened shed a light on his face, I'm surprised it didn't wake him. I wanted to know why he was here. Why he, instead of Ashton saved me. He owed me no kindness.
"Ahem." I cleared my throat causing the asleep Derek to jolt up in awareness.
"How did you find me? Where's Ashton?" I questioned him.

"Easy, Chanel sent me and... Ashton is currently  occupied with Ava, as in dating." He said as he wiped his eyes. Noticing my face fall he sheepishly turns away from my gaze.

I slowly lowered my head. "He was right he wasn't going to save me," I mumbled.

 "What?" He asked.

 I shook my head, "I'm sorry." He said. 

"Why are you sorry?" I asked. 

"If I...hadn't left you...you wouldn't be so...ruined." He says as if I was abnormal to him now.

I tucked my bang behind my ear, "Why do you say that?" I asked. 

"Well for starters you kept screaming in your sleep." He points out his concerns maybe so much so for his own. 

I rolled my eyes, "I don't know what you're talking about. And I don't need your concern or pity." I snapped. 

"Well, in that case, I can leave." He said getting up. 

"No! Wait, please don't leave me, I-I don't want to be alone," I said. 

Derek looks at me for a moment, "Fine, but I won't enjoy it. Also, the doctor says you need to rest. We leave in the morning." 

The next day I gathered my things and got dressed. A knock interrupted my thoughts and I turned towards the door. I wondered what would happen once I walked out those doors. My life has been on a decline since Stefan's death and I honestly was not prepared to leave but I guess I have to put on my big girl pants and be brave.

"You ready?" 

I took a deep breath and nodded, "Yes." I said grabbing my things and walking towards him. For a quick second, I studied him. The way he looked at me or stood. He was perplexed by my gaze. That was all I could do when I was trapped in a room all by myself, just observe. 

"What?" He asked. 

"Nothing, sorry." I cleared my throat. "By the way thanks for getting me out of there." 

He smirks, he knew that I was red, in a good way. I was free and I couldn't hide the blush from off my face quick enough.

"You're welcome but I think you belonged there by the things you were saying in your sleep." 

He ruined a moment I could've had, "Well I wouldn't have to if I wasn't so heavily drugged." I said before brushing past him. I wasn't just drugged I was isolated into thinking that I did not matter.

"You know I didn't ask to be here." He snapped.

 "And You didn't have to be!" I snapped back with a growl tickling my throat. 

"Well then it's settled you can find your way back home."

 I stopped walking and turned around. "How dare you! And here I thought we were going somewhere."

 He laughed, "I never said that you just assumed that." I watched as his eyes caught the whiff at a cute blonde. Just like that, his eyes were surveying someone else. I was no longer his gaze, or anyone's just the girl you looked at once to feel sorry for. I hated this feeling.