02| CHARITY BALL

^CELESTE^

The diamond chandelier always took my breath away. Ever since I was seven and my aunt and uncle organized the first charity ball. I had walked in, wearing my puffy pink princess dress and immediately looked up to a dream come through.

I felt like princess who was about to meet her prince.

Now ten years later I was a young adult still amazed by a shining chandelier. My dress choice had changed though, but I was still that dreaming little girl. I was still waiting for my prince.

My family was greeting guest, especially Zeus had to stick with his parents. He was a future Alpha and he had to start early with bonding and finding allies. I knew he would make a great Alpha, although he sometimes longed to be a normal teenager. No intense trainings with his dad each day, no special treatment, no guards surrounding him when he went out and no one to be scared of him.

I could relate to him in a lot of ways: the guards and the special treatment. My uncle had me secured if I even stepped a foot across the border. And as far as special treatment goes, you can't find a lot of friends when you have a psychotic father chasing you down. It wasn't like that with my own pack members or humans, but other pack members all knew me because of that.

The chance of finding a mate who didn't know my name was minuscule.

"Dad is giving me the side eye because I'm eating all the chocolates", I laughed at Primrose.

We stood together near the food table, on her command, watching Zeus suffer. I caught my uncles glance and just then Primrose, as extra as she was, popped a chocolate in her mouth with a sneaky grin. She was provoking her dad and that never was good.

"You're dead", I giggled when I saw uncle Eros excuse himself.

She whimpered and hurried off with a look of horror on her face. Her dad was terrifying when you angered or upset him and that's something Primrose did constantly. I could write an entire book about all the trouble she got in.

I looked around the room to see if I recognized faces. The management team of my aunts recording studios were here, bosses of important industries/companies, senators, mayors and spokesmen. The entire elite of America was here and I was still astonished about how powerful my uncle and aunt were.

Yet there was one much more powerful.

My aunt was mind linking me over. She stood with Zeus with a young man that I've never met before. He had dark blond full hair and was tall with a lean, muscular frame. His broad back was pointed towards me, so I couldn't make out his face. And for some reason that bothered me.

I felt giddy and excited. My palms got sweaty and I had to suppress a gigantic smile. I had no idea from where this was coming, because I never get like that. But my wolf soon was jumping and stirring.

Mate.

My body stopped and I searched around the room, until my eyes fell on a pair of grey ones. I was sucked into them like a prisoner and I couldn't look away. They reminded me of a dark stormy, cloudy day and I would run with Zeus through the woods until it started to rain. We both enjoyed bad weather for some reason, whilst most wolves enjoyed warm weather.

Those eyes belong to the man standing next to my aunt. They also were paired to a gorgeous face. I stopped breathing and took in the art that guy called his face. From his smooth skin to strong features. His thick eyebrows to a pair of full and pink lips who looked so tempting.

When he took a step forward, I also did. I had this urgent need to touch him, to be with him this second. I wanted to get to know him, I wanted to do everything with him. I felt so desperate and needy.

"Mate", his voice was so heavy and husky and it had a hint of a British accent.

Luckily he laid his arms around my waist, because my knees went weak just by his accent. I took in his smell, pines and forest, and smiled widely in his broad chest. He was a head taller then me and I fitted perfectly in his arms. We were made for each other. I didn't want him to let go.

"What's your name, dear?",

My name. That was a good question. I was so dazzled by his beauty and charm that I literally forgot my name. He stared at me, patiently, while I tried to remember something as easy as my own name.

"Celeste",

I turned around to see my uncle. My cheeks went vibrant red and I lost my voice even more. He laid his hand on my shoulder and pulled me closer to him. I swallowed and felt actually petrified.

My uncle and aunt never been fully supporters of my cousins and I dating. They taught us to safe ourselves for our mates. And were convinced there were no good people. They didn't want us to waste our time at a relationship that was doomed to fail, which I agreed with.

"Alpha Eros, is this your daughter?", again his voice and I had to lean into my uncle.

My knees were a jelly mess.

"Practically. She's my niece, but I raised her, so she's my pup",

My uncle was possessive like any other Alpha over his pups and mate. He was overprotective and kept us supervised at all times. We didn't have much freedom, but for me there was a constant danger on my life. So I understood his worry.

"She's my mate", he spoke again.

Realization was written over his face and he looked down at me. My uncle was still taller than me and they would never change, but he was taller than everybody in the room. Very handy for a concert, believe me, I've tried.

"Why don't we discuss this privately?",

And I was sucked back into reality. I was still in danger and now that I met my mate, it would slowly become his duty to keep me safe.