Chapter 29

Chapter 29

     We pulled into Bob Evans mostly deserted parking lot. I'm pretty sure the other cars there were most of the cast. Kirk grabbed my hand and proudly led me into the restaurant and to their table. I never knew I was this awesome to show off, but I wasn't going to complain.

     "Hey guys! Most of you probably know her, but if not, this is Lily!" He exclaimed to all the people at the long table. They all greeted me happily, except a few of the girls who were hot box dancers looked a little jealous, and of course we sat closer to them. They all greeted Kirk and I happily again. Maybe they weren't jealous of me. I had no idea. This was really awkward.

     "So Lily, do you go to Kirk's school are are you from around here?" Maria, one of the hot box dancers asked.

     "I'm from here. I actually live like two streets away from the rehearsal hall." I said shyly. I'll admit, I am pretty socially awkward, especially around people who act better than me.

     "What grade are you in?"

     "What else do you do?"

     "What other shows have you done?"

     "Have you had any other boyfriends?"

     "What's your school like?"

     I didn't know that this would be a fifty questions game, but I was in, I guess. "I'm a junior, I play drums in the marching band, some volunteer work here and there, piano, guitar, sing, and dance. I've been in Bye Bye Birdie, Annie, South Pacific, and this show. Kirk is my first boyfriend since my school is filled with douchebags." I answered all the questions at once. They were all kind of giving me a face like they were amused, but freaked out.

     "What?" I asked jokingly with a smile on my face.

     "You do so much stuff! How do you have the time for all of this? I barely have time to go to dance and voice lessons!" Gwen, another hot box dancer said.

     "Well, I take my piano and voice lessons late on Tuesdays, I'm literally gone all day Wednesdays with band and volunteering, I take dance for an hour and a half on Thursdays, and have football games on Fridays, and then I usually have youth group and church choir on Sundays. Mondays and Saturdays are my days to hang out and do whatever pretty much, except once football season is over I get Fridays too." I explained

     "You are super organized!" Kirk said with a smile on his face as all the hot box dancers agreed.

      We continued to discuss the musical and anything else that came to mind. These girls were a lot nicer than I thought, probably just because I was dating someone as good as, or better than them. We finished our food, paid the bill, and got back in the car.

     "That wasn't as awkward as I thought it would be. Thanks for inviting me!" I told Kirk.

     "You're welcome! They really wanted to get to know you better. I didn't even know half the stuff you told them tonight! I want you to do a guitar cover for me sometime!" He said excitedly. I froze.

     "I'd prefer not. I have a piece of crap guitar and I only know like basic chords. I only took it for a semester, so I really suck." I said, blushing out of nervousness.

     "You need to stop beating yourself up about your talent, at least give yourself a little respect. I know you have it in you, and I'll prove it right now!" He said, adding a mischievous laugh and going through the playlist on my phone. He started playing "As Long As You're Mine" From Wicked. Damn. How did he know I can't listen to one single Wicked song without singing along?

     We sang the song together, and it sounded great. Men singing is pretty much my favorite thing. We were almost to his house when the song was over.

     "That was simply beautiful. I don't know what else to say!" He said, blushing. He was so sweet.

     "I really hope you know that you're so sweet." I said to him for lack of better words. We pulled in his driveway.

     "Goodnight! Thanks for the ride and I'll see you tomorrow at the cast party!" He said as he gave me a hug.  I drove home with a huge smile on my face. This was one of the best nights ever.