25. Giving Up

*unedited*

M A N I K

She was in my arms, still breathing tightly. There was pain in every cell of her body, but more in my heart. The mental pain I was going through right now wouldn't even be comparable to her physical one.

"Nandini, keep breathing baby. Everything is going to be alright," I whispered rubbing her arms and she painted more.

"Doctor!" I shouted again, my face still not leaving hers when Zubin came in running, his face turned pale as soon as he saw Nandini and I could see the fear on his face as well.

"Zubin, call the fucking doctor!" I shouted at him.

"But the Doctor is in her cabin, she isn't fucking," he whispered innocently and I gritted my teeth. My wife was dying in my arms and all he cared was about his silly jokes.

"I mean yes! I am calling the doctor! Shit, what is wrong with me?" He hit himself and just as he turned, he barged into the closed door instead of opening it.

I knew it wasn't his mistake. He was just as nervous and feared as I was, for losing this girl in my arms whom he called as his sister. No Zubin, we have to be strong.

"Ma-Manik," Nandini gasped for air and I rubbed my hand on her face, nodding, trying to not cry.

"It's paining so much," a tear slipped off her eye and I nodded negatively, wiping it away.

"Don't speak, shh. It will pain more. We'd have more time to speak, hmm?" I kissed her forehead and she weakly nodded.

"Don't lie, we- both know... I don't have much time. I'm dying," she barely whispered.

"No-no!" I shouted. "Why do you think I will let anything happen to you?" I held her hand in mine, kissing them.

"Man-Manik... I know this. I can feel it inside me, I wouldn't be able to stay for long. I can feel myself giving up slowly. I can't tell you how much this pains. I- I-.. love-... please stay happy," she whispered, slowly blanking out at the end.

"Nandini!" I shouted patting her to get up. "You can't leave me damn it!" I patted her more and she slowly opened her eyes again, weakly smiling at me.

"Please smile when I go away, okay? I don't want to see you crying," she barely spoke but every word of hers felt like a thunderstorm.

I could see her give up in front of me and still do nothing to take away her pain. I wish I could take it all away from her, and die instead. I can't see her this way. Why just her? Why just us?

"I don't want to let you go," I think I cried too. "Please don't go, please,".

"I don't want to. But maybe it's time for me to leave-...," her voice became slower again.

"No, please!" I shouted, crying as well.

Stretchers were pulled inside the room in which she lied and she was put onto it. I didn't realise how the doctor came in and panicked as well looking at my girl in pain.

"Nandini?" I patted her again, as she was run outside on the stretcher, her hands entwined with mine as I ran behind her.

"Don't do this to us, please," I whispered again.

"Manik, please-... pr-omise me somethi-..," she was barely being able to speak and I nodded frantically, in the desperate need to keep her awake.

"Anything, baby, anything," I repeated.

"After I go, you will be happy. Don't let yourself surround you with the darkness like before. Don't be a monster, Manik," she cried too.