34. Nostalgia

M A N I K

Fu— "no swearing when my kids are around, Manik" nandini's voice still resonated in my ears.

"But Nandini, I swear in my mind," I argued with my pregnant wife who was having another mood swing today.

"Not even in your mind," she demanded and I gave her an you-are-unbelievable face. "Orelse I will get divorced to you," she pouted and I chuckled.

"Okay baba, no swearing," I agreed and she smiled proudly.

No Fuck.

"Myra, Aarav be good children. Daadu—Daadi ko pareshaan nahi karna, okay?" Nandini instructed them and they nodded, hiding their laughter.

"Offo Nandini, they are anyway the best grandchildren in the world. And if they won't throw tantrums here and trouble us, then where?" Mom smiled patting Nandini's back and Nandini laughed, nodding.

"Aapne hi kharab kar diya hai inhe mamma itna pyaar dekar. But they miss you so much, please aap ghar aa jao rehne," Nandini pleaded.

"Mein toh humesha se kehti hu, please shift with us na. Myra-Aarav will get their grandparents back, and Manik will get their parents," Nandini said and mom gave her a smile, touching her cheeks gently as I adored them.

"And what about you?" Mom asked and Nandini smiled sadly.

"I don't have my own mother. Mere liye toh joh bhi hain aap hi hai, so aapke aane se, I will get my parents too," Nandini smiled and mom hugged her.

I was so proud of my wife all the time but today when I looked at her talking to my mother, I was prouder than ever. She makes me so happy.

"I will think about it, I promise," mom smiled and Nandini nodded.

"But aaj toh rukh jao tum dono," mom argued and Nandini also pouted.

"Even I want to stay back, mamma. It's been so long since we've had good talks and you've taught me to cook new dishes. But Manik hain na! He's got some important meeting kal. So we have to go," Nandini retaliated and mom nodded.

"Work is also important," mom looked at me and I gave her an innocent face. She smiled. "But you promise that you come here soon to be with me, okay?"

"You heard Nandini, Maa. Aap aa jao na. Atleast come for a few weeks, see if you like it there and then make a decision. But aa jao, we miss you so much," I walked to her, kissing her hand and she held both our faces with one hand each.

She smiled at me with adore. "Acha, I will come. Okay?" I kissed her forehead.

"Bye Maa!" Nandini left me with mom and went to talk to her kids, instructing them about the night.

"You know, you are very lucky. Jaha most girls of today are happy to live separate from their in laws, your wife is asking us to come over," Mom asked and I smiled, keep my hands on her shoulder.

"I am lucky, Mom; very lucky. But Nandini ne galat nahi kaha, please come over. I have missed you," I held her and she smiled. Life was odd. Once, she held me, and today, I held her.

"I will bacha. You've grown up, Manik. You have kids. And khud ko dekho, still a kid," she teased and I chuckled.

"Your kid," I whispered hugging her. "Ah my big boy, your mother missed you too," she nodded and giving her a tight hug, I walked away.