The Final Battle

(3801 words y'all! My biggest chappy yet)

The beating of wings and heavy breathing was all that overpowered the sound of the wind whipping past me at high speeds as we shot across the sky. The ground loomed below me, most of it being a blur of sand, as me and my team charged back to the city. Back to my father.

Breathing seemed to be an issue as soon as I left the ground, but whether that was because the high wind speeds making it impossible, or the thought of seeing my possessed father again, I will never know.

Morro tried his best to manipulate the wind so it wasn't as brutal, but even our powers, it seemed, had limitations. But neither the less, he was able to double back the undercurrent so it propelled us forward.

It didn't take as long as I had imagined learning to ride a dragon. Strangely enough, it almost felt natural, but Zane had said that our dragon was just an extension of our element and body, so maybe the dire urgency to take back the city became a high ranking topic on the dragon's to-do list, because it was high ranking in mine.

I glanced behind me. My friends were all there; serious faced, ready to win. Well, at least they tried to look serious, but the powerful winds dis-formed there features into, what would be, funny faces to laugh and ogle at if not considered the circumstances.

It took only half an hour or so, but when the outskirts of the city came into view, my heart sank. Only a few remaining skyscrapers towered into the sky, as multiple smoke pillars, big and small, radiated from burning fires. We were still a couple of miles out, but the stench of burning rubber and dust caused my insides to churn, and for a brief second, I feared we were too late.

But we weren't. A menacing laughter cackled across the sound waves, as another explosion rattled the ground below us, and a mushroom shaped cloud of ash and smoke shot into the dreary sky. I gulped down yet another clog of doubt and fear, and ordered, in a swift hand motion, for our convoy to land. We did gracefully, hardly making a sound as touchdown came and went.

"Okay, so you all know the plan?" I asked, speaking through the earpieces Zane, Pixel, Jay and Nya had spent multiple all-nighters working on, using only what they could gather from the minivan.

A chorus of yeses sounded back, I was able to pick out every voice from each friend, apart from one.

"Jay?" I asked, looking towards where his dragon stood, "Do you know the plan?"

"Yes!" His static answer came quickly, before scratching the back of his neck, "but just in case, can we run through it once more?"

"Really Jay?" I heard Kai groan, along with several other similar responses.

"It's alright, rather you ask than not be 100% sure," I said nodding towards the lightning master, but I doubt he could see it because of how far away he was. But not by choice obviously, these dragons are big creatures, and take up a lot of room, and surprisingly have their own personal bubble that if another dragon were to enter it without permission, there would be a little aggression shown.

"Okay, here's the plan....."

~~~Time Skip~~~

I was crouched next to a building that, from one quick glance up, I could tell it was an old supermarket. I was hiding in the shadows, waiting for the signal from Cole. My beating heart reached a crescendo level, my mouth was sore from all the doubt I'd had to swallow down and my hands were so sweaty, the golden blade I clutched in my right hand, kept slipping from my grasp. But I was ready.

In the distance I heard it. The massive footsteps from my father's ugly contraption that kept him safe from all oncoming riots from the police. I felt pride blossom in my chest, even now, with little to no hope left, the police still held strong in defending their city. However all their attempts were useless, as after a few pushed buttons, they were sent flying by a powerful blast from the machine.