Deepest Fear

Jenny was woken early the next morning, by an owl tapping on her window. Charlie was still asleep, so she got up quietly, and made her way to the window.
Once open, the owl flew in, and allowed Jenny to remove the letter from its leg, before flying off again. Jenny shut the window quickly, to stop the cold air getting in.
She opened the envelope, which was adressed to her, and began to read, the short letter inside. It was from Myra Vance, and it demanded her presence first thing that morning. Regarding the well-being of Albus Potter.
Jenny sighed and flicked her wand at the wardrobe, summoning her clothes towards her, so she could get dressed.

Once clothed, Jenny left a note explaining where she was, for Charlie to read once he was awake. She then apparated as close to the school as she could get, and walked the last few hundred yards, on foot.
The school was cold and quiet that early in the morning, as even the early birds weren't awake yet, on the first day back.
Myra was the Potions teacher, so her office was down in the dungeons, underneath the rest of the school.
Before Myra had started teaching, Jenny avoided the dungeons, so that she wouldn't run into the Slytherins. But since the two had become friends, she often visited Myra's office, for a cup of tea, and a chat.
The dungeons were cold and dark, causing Jenny to shiver, and wish that she had worn a thicker cloak.
After knocking on the office door, Jenny entered, without bothering to wait for a reply.

"O.K, what was so urgent, that I had to be here, at this ungodly hour?" Jenny asked, closing the door behind her.
Myra was sitting behind her desk, looking just as tired as Jenny felt. When Jenny approached, Myra got up from her chair, and made her way around the desk.
"Jenny, thanks for coming. Sorry, I know it's early" apologised Myra.
Jenny yawned. "It sure is. You said in your letter that there was a problem with Albus".
"Not a problem as such. But there is a matter I wanted to talk to you about, before I spoke to Minerva"
"It must be important, if you want to talk to the Headmistress about it"
"It's about Albus being placed in my house, Slytherin".

"Well, he can't switch houses. Otherwise we'd have students moving all the time" admitted Jenny, sitting down in the chair opposite the desk.
"I am well aware that he can't move into Gryffindor, no matter how much he wants to" replied Myra, leaning her back against the desk.
"Why don't you just tell me what the issue is"
"Very well. Young Scorpius Malfoy came to find me last night, because his new friend, Albus kept crying, and couldn't get to sleep. I've been up all night talking to him, which is why I look like this"
"Albus was crying?"
"Yes. He seemed very upset about being placed in Slytherin. Which I find slightly offensive, but as he comes from a very important, Gryffindor family, I understand why he feels that way. He believes that his family is going to hate him, for being placed in the, dark wizard house, his words, not mine".

"What did you tell him?" Jenny asked.
"I tried to convince him that everything would be O.K. But I don't really know your family that well. So it was hard for me to reassure him" answered Myra.
"I see"
"Well, is it true? Will his family be mad that he isn't in Gryffindor, with you?"
"No... If he had just been in Hufflepuff or Ravenclaw, everything would have been fine. But you saw how everyone in the Great Hall reacted yesterday. A Potter in Slytherin, is an entirely new concept... Have the other Slytherins been mean to him?"
"Not yet. They've been giving him some strange looks, just like everyone else, but no name calling, as yet. But it's only been one day".

"Where is Albus now?" Jenny quizzed.
Myra pointed to the other office door, that lead to her bedroom.
"He's in there. Sitting on the floor, with a blanket wrapped around him. He can't seem to get some sleep. Poor boy. I hoped that you would be able to talk to him, before school starts, and cheer him up" replied Myra.
Jenny sighed. "I'm not sure how well I'll do. But I'll certainly give it a go".
"Good"
"This would have to happen now. As if I'm not busy enough already"
"You'll manage"
"Thanks for the support".
Myra walked over to her bedroom door, and opened it, ushering Jenny inside.
Albus was leaning against the wall, his eyes red, from crying so much. Jenny walked towards him, while Myra closed the door, giving the two some privacy.

Jenny sat down on the floor, opposite Albus, and crossed her legs like him.
"I'm really too old to be getting down on the floor you know" she mumbled.
Albus didn't smile, his face was just as grim as it had been when Jenny had walked in.
"Professor Vance says you're not to happy about being placed in Slytherin" continued Jenny.
Albus wiped his nose with his sleeve. "What do you think" he said quietly.
"Well, I hate to tell you Albus, but no amount of tears, will get you into Gryffindor"
"I know. But I don't belong with them. The other Slytherins"
"The Sorting Hat clearly disagrees with you. And they say it knows you better, than you know yourself... I felt terrible when I tried it on, as an adult. I had just taken part in a battle, and murdered several people. But the Hat saw through me, and pronounced me a Gryffindor"
"Good for you".

"So why do you think you don't belong in Slytherin then?" Questioned Jenny.
"Hundreds of reasons" answered Albus.
"Is there something wrong with Slytherin then?"
"You know... People in Slytherin are bad, and people in Gryffindor are good... I'm not bad. I swear"
"I believe you. But look, Albus, not everyone in Gryffindor is good, and not everyone in Slytherin is evil. The Houses all have their stereotypes, but they aren't true for everyone.
I know a brave Hufflepuff, and a stupid Ravenclaw. I know a kind Slytherin, and a courage-less Gryffindor, who stabbed all his friends in the back, to save his own skin".
Thinking about Wormtail's betrayal, caused Jenny to lose her focus. The fat little git had got her brother killed, and he had once been a Marauder, just like her.
But he had turned on them all, handing them all over to Voldemort, to protect himself.

"Jenny. Jenny, are you O.K?" Asked Albus, looking worried.
"What. Yes. I'm fine" mumbled Jenny.
"You looked like you spaced out for a moment"
"I'm fine. I was just thinking... Anyway, it's Professor Potter here Albus, remember that"
"Oh, O.K. Sorry, I forgot"
"That's O.K. Just don't do it again. You're not your brother, who enjoys forgetting that I am his teacher, daily... Listen, I want you to go about the day, as best you can, and I will talk to you more, tonight. I've got to go and give out the timetables for my house, so does Myr-Proffesor Vance"
"You promise we'll talk more later?"
"Yes. Now come on, lets get going".

Very slowly, Albus stood up, and followed Jenny towards the door.
"Does dad hate me?" Asked Albus quietly, before they reached it.
Jenny turned round to face him.
"No. Of course he doesn't" Jenny lied.
"Are you sure?"
"Definately. He might not have been over the moon about it, at first. But he's fine with it now, I promise. You are his son. And he loves you, no matter what house you are in".