The Big Disappointment

After Jenny had dealt with her Quidditch issue and learnt who was playing on her team that year, she thought that she would be able to divert the rest of her attention back to the tournament.
But when Myra cornered her before she left Hogwarts that evening, and asked her to talk to Albus, Jenny knew that her problems were far from over.
She found the boy lurking in the owlery by himself, when he should've been in his common room or the Great Hall.
"No Scorpius?" Questioned Jenny, as she entered the space and approached Albus.
"He's studying in the library" answered Albus as he turned to face her.
"Then why aren't you with him?"
"I don't like public places so I try to avoid them where possible. Even the library isn't safe from people's whispers"
"Scorpius is there though, doesn't he mind people talking about him?"
"He has thicker skin than me I guess. He's more used to people talking about him. I haven't been the family disappointment quite as long as him".

Jenny frowned and got closer to Albus, leaning against the same pillar that he was.
"You don't know what you're talking about" she said.
"Yes I do. I've let my family down. I'm no good at anything. I'm the most useless Potter ever. The opposite of Rose in my year, she's a genius" sniffed Albus sadly.
"Just because you're not the most academic person ever, does not mean that you are a failure. So you shouldn't compare yourself to your cousin Rose" replied Jenny.
"She's top in every subject. And my brother James is a Quidditch prodegy, who got on the team in his first year, like father did. My mum was a professional Quidditch player before she had us, so I've let her down too by being so bad at the sport"
"You haven't let anyone down. Not everyone can be a good Quidditch player. Now, both Rose and your brother are outstanding, it's true, but most people are not like them. So you shouldn't measure yourself against them"
"I'm supposed to be outstanding too, because I'm a Potter. You and dad are war hero's, and so are my grandparents. And I'm just me, no good at anything".

"You're only in your first year Albus, there is still so much time for you to do great things. And you haven't even experienced all the subjects on offer yet, so for all we know you might be amazing at Divination or Care of Magical Creatures" admitted Jenny.
"Dad says Divination is a stupid subject and a waste of time" revealed Albus.
"Well he would say that, because he failed the subject"
"My dad failed something?"
"Yes, he failed his History of Magic and his Divination OWLs. And he only got on Acceptable in his Astronomy OWL. So your dad isn't quite as amazing as you think he is, at least not academically"
"It doesn't matter that he's not the smartest person ever. He's the boy who lived, who stopped Voldemort dozens of times, and according to history he also won the Triwizard Tournament even though he was only 14. There's no way I can ever live up to him"
"No one can live up to your dad, not even your brother James, no matter how much he wants to".

"I just wish I was good at something" admitted Albus.
"You are good at a great many things. You also have a kind heart Albus, which is rare for someone who grew up with everything he could ever have wanted" replied Jenny.
"You grew up like that too, and you are still kind" reminded Albus.
"I wouldn't exactly say that I'm kind. However, I had everything money could buy it's true. But I was denied the one thing that I really wanted, the ability to go to Hogwarts and make my own friends. That's one thing you've been able to do that I never managed. You have Scorpius, and he's a true friend, I can tell. The only friends I ever had, were actually my brothers friends, not mine. Even now, I can't say that I have a best friend, other than my husband Charlie, who I only met because of your dad's friendship with Ron. You have a best friend Albus, don't ever underestimate how important that is. This place can be lonely without a friend to share it with".

"I am lucky to have Scorpius, but I expect my dad isn't too happy about our friendship" Albus said nervously.
"I spoke to your dad last week, and he is not angry or upset with you. He doesn't view you as the disappointment that you see yourself as. And although he might not have been thrilled about your friendship with Scorpius, he is happy that you have a friend. We all know that Scorpius is not his father, so there is no reason Harry will hate him, once he gets to know him like you and I have done" reassured Jenny.
"You've spoken to my dad?"
"Yes, he wanted to know how you are getting on, as he was worried you weren't coping. He really cares about you. Your whole family loves you, and they don't care that you're in Slytherin. They love you for who you are, your grades and skills or lack of, on a broomstick don't matter to them".

"You really think that my dad doesn't hate me?" Questioned Albus.
"Of course he doesn't hate you. You're his son" reminded Jenny.
"I just wish he knew how hard it was for me to be a Potter and walk in his shadow" admitted Albus.
"I think he knows now, after his little chat with me"
"What did you say to him?"
"I told him that not everyone wins the popularity contest and gets to be the famous boy who lived. Hopefully I got the message through to him"
"I hope so to".
Jenny smiled before looking down at her watch to see what the time was, and swearing inside her head.
Albus noticed the change in her mood and frowned.
"What's wrong?" He asked.
"Nothing. I'm just going to have to get changed very quickly at home, before I come back here for the second challenge tonight" sighed Jenny.

"I didn't mean to make you late for anything" admitted Albus.
"It was not your fault, you did not ask me to talk to you" reminded Jenny.
"Who did then?"
"Your Head of House of course. She was concerned that you still haven't settled down yet. Which is why she asked me to have a quick chat with you before I went home"
"Proffesor Vance is still worried about me? I never knew a Slytherin teacher could be so nice and caring"
"I told you when you were first sorted, that not all Slytherins were evil"
"I know. I just didn't really believe it at the time"
"Well I have a long list of Slytherins that I get along with and like, and you are at the top of the list".

Albus grinned, "I've never been the top of any list before".
"Well now you are... But I do really have to go now" admitted Jenny.
"That's O.K. I'm sure that Scorpius will be along soon to join me" replied Albus.
"Good. Well, I'll see you tomorrow"
"Goodbye Aunt- I mean Professor"
"You can call me Jenny, since it's out of hours and there's no one around. I will allow it, as long as you don't make it a habit like your brother"
"I promise that I won't"
"Good. Have a nice evening then"
"You too Aunt Jenny".