History and Heirlooms

Sky and Teddy returned to England the following morning and came straight to the Potter Manor.
Since Teddy was close to Jenny and the Potters, he decided to stay at the manor, while she was ill. Luckily the mansion had more than enough rooms to accomodate this.
All of Charlie's family visited Jenny during the next few days, so when she wasn't asleep, she was talking to someone.
Minerva had even allowed her nieces and nephews at Hogwarts to visit her, provided they had an adult escourt them to and from school.

"Jen, I was wondering. Has anyone else ever lived in the room that I'm staying in, while you were a child?" Asked Harry curiously one afternoon.
Charlie, Harry, Ginny, Albus, Lily, James, Teddy and Sky, were all sat around and on Jenny's bed, keeping her company.
"You're staying in the room opposite your dad's, aren't you?" Jenny questioned.
"Yes. I thought it would be nice to be close to him"
"What made you think that someone else used to live in it?"
"There was a handwritten inscription on the headboard of the bed"
"What did it say?"
"SOBP".
Jenny smiled.

"What does it mean?" Asked Sky.
"Sirius lived in that room after he left his parents house when he was 16. My father allowed him to stay in the room opposite James' so they could be close to each other. He lived there for about a year, before getting his own place" revealed Jenny.
"So Sirius wrote those letters on the bed?" Quizzed Harry.
"But what do the letters actually mean?" Sky asked again.
"They're Sirius' initials. Well, sort of. Sirius Orion Black. He used to laugh that they spelled out Son Of a Bitch" replied Jenny.
The children in the room chuckled at Jenny's bad language, and Ginny rolled her eyes.

"Hang on. What's the P stand for then?" Questioned Sky.
"Potter. Sirius liked to think of himself as a Potter, especially after his parents threw him out. My mum and dad had always thought of him as their son anyway. He always felt like a brother to me, another member of the family" answered Jenny.
"So I'm staying in Sirius' room" Harry said quietly.
"Yes. But to be honest he didn't spend an awful lot of time in there"
"Other than the inscription, the room is completely ordinairy. He didn't leave anything else behind"
"He wouldn't have had much to leave. When he left his house he only had a small suitcase of belongings on his person. So when he bought his own apartment, he took everything he owned with him".

"It's lucky our great grandparents were rich enough to take Sirius in and look after him" admitted James.
"You don't have to be rich to accept someone into your home. Your grandma Molly, pretty much adopted Harry into her home, even though she was alright tight on space" reminded Jenny.
"Yeah, but having a house this big must have been good. Because everyone has their own room"
"Everyone has their own room at your house as well remember. You also have a spare room for guests"
"But we don't have 20 bedrooms like you do"
"There are not 20 bedrooms in here, trust me".

"How many bedrooms are there?" Asked Harry curiously.
Jenny sighed, "Well on this floor you have; this bedroom, my childhood bedroom, my parents master bedroom, and Sky's room. On the floor above you have my brother's room, and the one you're staying in now. And then on the top floor there are another 3 guest rooms, one of which Teddy is using now. That's it".
"That's still a lot of rooms" replied Harry.
"Yeah, I know. But this is a big house, with 2 drawing rooms, 2 dining rooms, and many other rooms, including a Potions lab at the far end of the house. So you need a lot of bedrooms for everyone to sleep in... We were rich even before my father made his own fortune by selling his invention; Sleakezy's hair potion" admitted Jenny.

"So your dad was a Potioneer?" Questioned Lily.
"Not really. It was one of his strengths, but he was also a great dueller" revealed Jenny.
"He was?"
"Yes. Well, with a name like Fleamont, he had to make a name for himself, to avoid being picked on at school, which is how he became so skilled at duelling"
"I guess that makes sense"
"Since I never went to school, my parents taught me from home, but it was mostly my dad who gave me lessons. I learned a great deal from him".

"He sounds like a cool man" commented Lily.
"He definately was. Both of my parents were amazing people, they raised me and brother afterall" replied Jenny.
Jenny had spent a long time hating her parents for the decisions they had made on her behalf. But deep down she had always loved them, even if she didn't agree with everything they had done.
They were her parents, and they had raised her in love, which is something not everyone was lucky enough to recieve. So as she came to her final days, she had decided to forgive them what they did.

Jenny looked down at the crimson ring on her finger, a gift passed down from generation to generation, and she knew it was time to pass it on again.
"Give me your hand" instructed Jenny, pointing to Harry's hand, that held his own ring.
Harry placed his hand into Jenny's, and she slipped off his ring.
"What are you doing?" He questioned.
"It's time for us to pass these on" sighed Jenny.
"You can't take it off yet. What if you need me-"
"Harry, I'm dying, so it doesn't really matter if I get in trouble and need your help. Besides, you live with me now, so if I need you, I can just shout your name" interupted Jenny, as she removed her own ring from her finger.

"Albus, Lily, come here" gestured Jenny.
The two kids got up from their chairs and approached her slowly.
Jenny then handed her ring to Lily, and Harry's to Albus.
"These are Potter family heirlooms. If you are both wearing them at the same time, then they will heat up when you get close, and they will go cold if the other person is in danger. These rings have saved mine and your dad's lives countless times, and now it is time for you to have them. They only work for people of the Potter bloodline. They cannot be duplicated, cursed, or traced, so they are completely safe to use" explained Jenny.

"Are sure you want us to have them?" Asked Albus nervously.
"Yes. Your father will have no use for his once I'm gone. And I'd rather hand mine over to you both in person, than have it done later by someone else" admitted Jenny.
Albus nodded his head and slipped the ring onto his finger, as his sister did the same.
"Hehe. It feels funny" smiled Lily, as Jenny expected she was feeling the ring warm up for the first time.
"I know you will both keep them safe for me. And will one day pass them onto your own children" replied Jenny.

"What about me, what do I get?" Asked James.
"I think you've got enough family heirlooms to look after" replied Jenny, reminding him that she had given him the Marauders Map, and that she knew he had taken the Invisibility cloak from his fathers trunk.
"You're right. I'll keep quiet" mumbled James, as he looked away from his father, who didn't know what he'd taken.
"When did your parents give the rings to you and your brother?" Asked Lily, who hadn't taken her eyes off the ring on her finger.

"Actually they never did. My brother never wore either of the rings. My parents never gave the rings to us. Maybe they didn't trust us, or maybe they were just waiting for the right moment, perhaps when I wasn't so sick. Because if we'd had them when were kids, then my brothers ring would always have been cold, as I was often seriously ill. But unfortunately my parents died before they had the chance to give the rings to us.
I found them several months after I left St Mungo's, in my parents things, which is when I gave one to your dad, and kept one for myself, so that we would always be connected, as long as we wore them" revealed Jenny.