The Heir Of Slytherin

The day after her second announcement, Jenny found it hard to control her classes, as they all wanted to know more about the tournament and its history, since Professor Binns refused to tell them about the championships that happened in the past.
Jenny also had to deal with some minor bullying in her first year class, when some Gryffindor boys stuck an enchanted note onto Scorpius Malfoy's back, that read Death Eater Spawn.
Since Jenny didn't like the Malfoy family, she wanted their lives as miserable as possible. But she found it impossible to be cruel towards young Scorpius when he appeared so pitiful and defenseless.
She scolded the boys who stuck the note on Scorpius, but took no house points, as she didn't want to make her own house suffer. Jenny very rarely took points from her own house, as she wanted to win the house cup as often as possible.
Scorpius Malfoy though, seemed upset by the whole inccident, which is why Jenny held him back after class, to talk to him and try to comfort him if possible.

"I'm sorry about them. They don't do it to be mean, you know. They just like to joke about" admitted Jenny, apologising for the boys in her house, as she lent back against the desk in front of Scorpius's.
The boy just nodded his head and sniffed loudly, wiping his eyes on the back of his robes.
Ever since she had started teaching him, Jenny felt like Scorpius was always trying to keep his head down around her, as he never said a word in her classes, unless she directly called on him. It was almost like he was scared of her, which she found confusing as she had never mistreated him.
"Do they do things like that a lot?" Asked Jenny, even though she was pretty sure that she knew the answer.
"All the time. And they aren't the only ones who say and do mean things" Scorpius said quietly.
"I see. Does Professor Vance know?" Questioned Jenny.
"No"
"You should tell her, she is your head of house afterall"
"They'd be no point. She can't punish everyone in the school at once".

"Well I'll have a word with the boys in your year, and tell them to back off" said Jenny.
"Please Professor, don't. I don't want to make things worse" admitted Scorpius.
"But this can't go on forever"
"This isn't exactly a new thing for me. People have been whispering about me ever since I was born... Some people think that I'm actually the son of you-know-who"
"Yes, I am aware of those rumours. But I know that they are false. You look far too much like your father, for you to be anyone elses son"
"Thank you Professor. I wish that I didn't just look like him, and acted a bit more like him instead"
"Well I for one am glad that you don't act like your father".

Scorpius sunk back in his seat, at Jenny's tone, making her feel bad.
"Tell me, Scorpius. Have I done something to affend you, because I feel like you always try to hide yourself from me in my classes" admitted Jenny.
"It's nothing" mumbled Scorpius.
Jenny raised an eyebrow, not believing him.
"Alright, Albus said that you don't like my family, so I do my best to stay out of your way and not give you a reason to hate me" continued Scorpius.
"He had no right to reveal my personal feelings about your family, to you" replied Jenny angrily.
"It's alright Professor, lots of people hate the Malfoy name"
"I'm sorry if I made you feel uncomfortable Scorpius. But I honestly have no qualms against you"
"You still hate the rest of my family though"
"Hate is a strong word. I would not say that I hate your father, I barely know him to be honest, as I only taught him for one year. The same goes for your mother and grandmother, I don't hate them".

There was one person in Scorpius's family who Jenny had avoided mentioning thus far. A man who had plagued her dreams for many years, who she had only stopped fearing after being forced to live in his house, which allowed her to see just how far he had fallen. Lucius Malfoy.
"So it's just my grandfather who you don't like?" Quizzed Scorpius.
"I guess you could say that" sighed Jenny.
"Why? Why him? There were way worse Death Eaters, so why do you hate my grandfather so much?"
"It's a long story, and one that you are too young to understand"
"Please I want to know"
"No, I don't think that you do"
"I know that my grandfather was a Death Eater, and that he did bad things a long time ago. You don't need to hide anything from me, I'm not a child".

Jenny smiled sadly, as she looked at the boy in front of her, who was still so much a child. She could barely remember being his age, and feeling so grown up despite lacking in experience and wisdom.
"19 years ago, there was a war" started Jenny.
"The battle of Hogwarts, I know" replied Scorpius.
"Yes. And 18 years before that, there was another war. The first wizarding war, in which there were more casualties, and more deaths than the second war. This was when Voldemort was at the height of his power"
"Father doesn't let us say his name in the house"
"So many people don't speak his name, even now, 19 years after his defeat. But I have never been afraid of his name. During the first war, Voldemort had many loyal followers, devoted to his cause. Your grandfather was one of them. He did bad things, and he enjoyed them".

"Did he hurt you?" Asked Scorpius quietly.
"Tell me, what do you know of the Cruciatus Curse?" Quizzed Jenny, knowing that the intelligent boy liked to be challenged, like Hermione in her youth.
"It's one of three Unforgivable Curses, which are illegal. The Cruciatus Curse is a torture spell, used to inflict pain and suffering upon someone" answered Scorpius.
"Yes. If used well, the Cruciatus Curse can even make you go insane. It can break your spirit, and your soul, or force your mind to retreat so far into yourself, that you lose who you are... That's what happened to me. I was tortured by your grandfather. I was left in an almost comatose state for years. I lost 14 years of my life, because of him".
Scorpius's jaw dropped and Jenny frowned.
"I thought a smart boy like you would have read every book he could get his hands on, regarding what happened in the two wizarding wars" continued Jenny.

"I know that you were in St Mungo's for a long time, and that you didn't leave until Harry Potter arrived in his 5th year, and healed your mind. But I didn't know that it was my grandfather who put you there. I never read that anywhere" admitted Scorpius.
"That's because not many people know the truth about what happened to me... When I was awakened all those years ago, I couldn't even close my eyes without hearing Lucius Malfoy's voice, and seeing those cruel eyes staring down at me. I may be over that now, but I have never forgotten what he did, and the years of my life that I lost because of him" replied Jenny.
"Wow. No wonder you hate my family. I would too, if I was you"
"I told you, I do not hate you or your family, Scorpius. The only person I wish harm on is your grandfather. But I don't take my anger at him, out on you, as I'm sure you're aware, since I've never behaved cruelly towards you. I would never blame a descendent for their relatives mistakes. So you don't need to be scared of me any more, I won't hurt you.
And while you're in this room, you're my student, so it is my job to keep you safe. Which is why I will not allow any bullying to go on in my classroom".

"Now, you'd better go off and get some lunch. I expect my nephew's son is waiting outside the door for you to finish talking to me" continued Jenny.
"Do you mind that I'm friends with him?" Asked Scorpius nervously.
"No. If I'm honest, I may not have been thrilled with the idea at first. But now I'm just glad that he has a good friend like you.
Now, be on your way. I have lots of marking to do" replied Jenny.
Scorpius nodded his head and got out of his seat before heading towards the door, where he knew Albus would be waiting for him on the other side.