The End Of The Road

As the days passed, Jenny began to get weaker and weaker. Her heart couldn't take it if she was out of bed for too long, so she ended up only leaving her room when she needed to go to the bathroom.
But even though she knew her days were numbered, she didn't let her spirit fade.
Despite being bed-ridden and sick, she was still ordering Charlie and Harry about as normal. Nothing was going to stop her doing what she wanted to do.
"I know what day it is today" Jenny said one morning when her and Harry were alone in the room.
"Good for you" mumbled Harry, not looking up from his Daily Prophet.
"It's the 31st of October" Jenny said quietly.

Harry sighed, and threw the Prophet down onto the bed.
"I know what you're going to ask. But the answer is no" Harry said firmly.
"It's the anniversery of your parents deaths, I have to go to Godric's Hollow" insisted Jenny.
"You can't. You're not allowed to leave the house, and right now you struggle to even get out of bed. You're not going to go traipsing up to Godric's Hollow" replied Harry.
"We've been going there together ever since the war ended, and I'm not going to miss my last chance to visit their graves"
"Why? Why do you care? You're going to be with them soon anyway"
"That may be true, but this is where there bodies are buried. I have to remember the day they died, as a sign of respect".

"No, I'm sorry, but I'm not going to take you there. The act of doing so could kill you" admitted Harry.
"I'm dying Harry. And I'm sick of lying in this bed waiting for it to happen. Whenever I pictured myself dying, in the past, I never thought it would be like this. I want to visit my brothers resting place, and if you won't help me get there, then I will go by myself" announced Jenny.
"You're not going to drop this are you?"
"No, I'm not"
"Fine. We'll go tonight then".

"I think we should take the rest of the family with us. I know they have all visited Godric's Hollow before, but they've never been with us on Halloween. And you will need someone to go with you next year, so I think it will be good for your kids to come with us. I don't want them forgetting about their grandparents and great grandparents on our side of the family" admitted Jenny.
"Don't you think they're a bit young for something like this?" Asked Harry.
"They've already seen the memorial, the house and the graves"
"Yes, but they've never been at night before. And I'm worried that they might find being in a graveyard in the dark, a little unsettling".

"Your kids are stronger than you give them credit for. They'll be fine" reassured Jenny.
"And you want them all there? Even Albus, who's a Slytherin?" Asked Harry.
Jenny rolled her eyes, "Slytherins are allowed in Godric's Hollow you know".
"I know. I just wasn't sure that you'd want him there"
"Well I do. He's your son, just like James. I love all of your kids equally, and me and Albus have actually become rather close these past few months... Besides, none of your children would be here, if it weren't for the people buried in Godric's Hollow, so they should show their bodies the respect they deserve"
"O.K, we'll all go together then. I'll go and give them the heads up about tonight. Although I'm not sure how happy James and Albus will be about missing the Halloween feast"
"They'll get over it".

****

That evening Jenny took a taxi down to Godric's Hollow with Charlie and Sky by her side. When she arrived she found Harry, Ginny, Albus, James and Lily waiting for her beside the statue of her brother, his wife and baby Harry.
"You beat me" smiled Jenny weakly.
Charlie had his arm wrapped around her, as he helped her to made her way towards Harry and the others.
"You really shouldn't be out here" Harry said quietly.
Jenny waved her hand in the air, ignoring Harry's concerns.
"Where to first then?" Continued Harry.
"The graveyard. I don't think I should go back to the house, after everything that happened in there" admitted Jenny.
"That's probably a good idea" agreed Harry.

The group made their way slowly towards the graveyard, as Jenny couldn't move very fast.
"Lumos" muttered James.
"You shouldn't be doing magic outside of school" scolded Ginny.
"If I'm with you guys then they won't know exactly who performed the charm" reminded James.
"That's not the point, those rules exist for a reason".
"Your mother's right. Although there are a lot of wizarding families living here, there are still some Muggles around, and you don't want any of them to see you doing magic" warned Jenny, as she passed Kendra and Ariana Dumbledore's shared gravestone.
James grumbled but extinguished the light from him wand.

Before finding her brother and Lily, Jenny found her parents graves.
Charlie helped Jenny onto her knees so that she could rest her hand onto the headstone.
"This is where your great grandparents; Euphemia and Fleamont Potter, are buried" Jenny explained to the children.
"They lived a long time" commented Lily as she read the dates on the stones.
"Yes. But because they had me and my brother so late in their lives, I was still very young when they died. I was only 16" admitted Jenny.
"Who looked after you?"
"My brother and my house-elf Sady"
"House-elves are funny looking"
"Yes, they are".

"When I'm gone, there won't be anyone to remember them. Hardly anyone who knew them personally, is still alive" admitted Jenny sadly.
"I know that I never got to meet them, but I promise that I'll keep their names alive" replied Albus.
"That means a lot to me"
"You're welcome"
"I just wish that I'd told you all more about them. I was angry at them for a long time, so I didn't like talking about my parents. But now their memory will fade because of my stubboness".
"No one will forget your parents Jenny. Their memory will live on" reassured Harry.
"Thank you Harry... I guess all any of us are in the end, are stories told by people we once loved" Jenny said quietly.

Jenny pressed her hand down on the headstone, and pushed herself up into a standing position, while Charlie held onto her other arm.
She then continued to make her way along the headstones, until she came to the one she was looking for.
"James and Lily Potter died on the 31st of October 1981" said Jenny, reading aloud the writing.
Unable to stand anymore due to her rappid breathing, she flopped down into a sitting position and Harry and Charlie sat down either side of her.
"The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death" she continued quietly.
Harry raised his wand, creating a bouquet of flowers with his wand, which he rested against the headstone.

"When I'm gone. Don't forget to add my name to the Marauders memorial that I made in my front garden. So that I can be with James, Remus and Sirius" reminded Jenny.
"I will" promised Harry.
"And don't forget about the vault under the house. You've been there before with me, so just picture yourself Apparating into that room, and you should be able to get inside. There's an awful lot of money and jewelery down there, and I'd hate for it to all go to waste" Jenny yawned.
"I won't forget... We should really be going now Jen. We need to take you home"
"No, just a few more minutes".

Jenny closed her eyes and snuggled into Charlie's side for warmth and comfort.
When she opened her eyes she saw her brother James sitting on his headstone, staring down at her.
Jenny looked around at the others beside her, and none of them had noticed the ghostly figure in front of them.
"They can't see or hear me sweet sister" said James' ghost.
A tear ran down Jenny's face as she stared at her brother. Finally hearing his voice again after so many years, was like music to her ears.

"It's time Jenny" continued James softly.
Jenny nodded her head before turning to face Charlie one last time.
"Kiss me" she whispered.
Charlie obliged and lent forward, kissing Jenny softly on the lips.
"I love you" Jenny mumbled.
"I love you too Jen" replied Charlie.
Jenny used all the strength she had lefy to tilt her head towards Harry.
"It's been a pleasure knowing you, Harry James Potter" she muttered.
Jenny felt her heart begin to slow, and although she knew the end was near, she was not afraid.
As her eyes began to close, she saw her brother reach out his hand towards her, and she knew that she was never going to be alone ever again.
All was well.

********************
Thank you so much for finishing this book, and my Jennifer Potter series.
It's been a long journey, but finally we've made it.
I hope you enjoyed reading these books as much as I loved writing them.
If you liked my work feel free to check out my other fanfics, many of which are Harry Potter related.