Glass Half Empty

Before monday's challenge, Minerva asked to see Jenny in her office, to discuss how the tournament was going so far.
At first Jenny was worried that she was going to be reprimanded for doing something wrong, but when she entered the Head's office she relaxed a little because of the calm look on Minerva's face.
"Ah Jenny, do come in and take a seat" instructed Minerva as she looked up from her desk.
Jenny nodded her head and looked around at the portraits as she passed them, before sitting down in the seat opposite Minerva.
"So, I take it that I haven't done something wrong?" Questioned Jenny.
"Wrong? Of course not, why would you think that?" Asked Minerva.
"Well when you asked me to come and see you before this evenings challenge, I was worried that I had done something wrong. To be honest I always feel like I've done something wrong"
"You haven't done anything wrong, in fact you've done a lot of things right"
"That's a relief".

"I've had numerous letters complimenting me on how the tournament has gone so far. But of course we both know that this is your triumph, not mine. You are the one who organised all this" reminded Minerva.
"It wasn't all me. It was definately a team effort" replied Jenny.
"I hardly did anything"
"I couldn't have done it without you"
"Well thank you, but I really think that you're the star here, which is why I wanted you to come tonight, so that I can pass on the compliments from those at the Ministry, to you"
"I'm glad that they're happy with how things are going so far. But there are still three more weeks to go, so there's plenty of time for things to go downhill"
"I wish you wouldn't think so negatively"
"I'm a cup half empty person I'm afraid, and I can't change that now. That's just how I see the world".

"Well how do you think we are going to do in this tournament? I want your professional opinion, not your personal one. Do you think we have a shot at winning?" Questioned Minerva.
"It's hard to say this early in the game. We've got one point which is good, but schools who do well at the beginning, can still come in last place" admitted Jenny.
"What about this coming week, do you think we are going to rack up many points?"
"No offense to Katherine Smith who is doing most of the challenges this week, but I don't think we are going to win any"
"And why's that? Which topics are happening during the rest of the week?"
"Well, tonight is the second Care of Magical Creatures exam, the practical one. Then we have the Herbology and Divination exams, neither of which we are particularly skilled in. Especially compared to Castelobruxo, who are amazing at Herbology, because they're such an out-doorsy school"
"Well I like to have hope that we can win".

"I mean sure, I'd love it if we won, but I just can't see it happening" sighed Jenny.
"That's because I expect you are just looking forward to the competition ending" replied Minerva.
"It will be nice to have some time to myself again" admitted Jenny guility.
"I'm sorry that this event has put so much strain on your personal life"
"It's fine. Charlie is a good man, he knows that I have to put the school before our relationship at the moment"
"I guess that's the reason most of the teachers here aren't married. Because working at a school doesn't leave you with much free time"
"You were married though, weren't you?"
"That, was a very long time ago. And I don't like talking about it"
"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to pry"
"It's fine".

There was an awkward moment of silence, before Minerva spoke again.
"How is young Albus Potter settling in?" She quizzed.
"He's finding life at Hogwarts quite challenging still" admitted Jenny.
"The boy is so unlike his father, so it's easy to see why he is struggling to find his place" agreed Minerva.
"Myra has been keeping a close eye on him ever since he arrived, and she tells me when he's in a bad place, so that I can talk to him"
"Does he listen to you?"
"I think so. We never had that much of a connection before, but we have gotten closer since he's been at Hogwarts"
"It's strange that the two of you weren't close before, as you both hate being in public situations where you have to be social and talk to other people"
"For something I hate so much, I do seem to do a lot of it, socialising I mean. Especially at the moment... I guess because I spend so much time here, I never get to bond with Harry's kids until they come to Hogwarts".

"Do you find that you're closer to Harry's children, rather than your nieces and nephews on Charlie Weasley's side?" Asked Minerva curiously.
"I think I am, which makes no sense because Harry is only my nephew, so his kids are even less related to me than Charlie's siblings children are" replied Jenny.
"I think it makes perfect sense. Harry is your blood relative, and for a while he was the only family you had. So it's understandable that you spent more time with him and his offspring. Charlie also has a great number of nieces and nephews which you both have to split your time between, whereas there's only one Harry"
"Yes, there is. There will only ever be one Harry".

Minerva looked over at the large grandfather clock on the other side of the room, and sighed.
"We'd better get going, or the next challenge will start without us" she admitted.
"You know as well as I do, that it can't start until we get there" reminded Jenny.
"Yes, well I still don't want to be the last one there"
"Neither do I".
Minerva pushed herself out of her seat, and Jenny did the same.
"How are the foreign students settling in here?" Asked Minerva as the two of them began to head for the door.
"Quite well I believe. They study with those in their school during the day as well as preparing themselves for their assigned challenges. I think they find it a bit strange being here, but I'm sure they'll get used to it by the end of the week" answered Jenny.

"I was worried that because the students from the other schools spend so much time together in the accomadation block, that our students wouldn't be able to fit in with them. And I hated the thought of them feeling like they were being excluded" admitted Minerva.
"I don't think our students feel like that at all. All the champions spend several hours together every evening, as they all hang out together if they aren't the ones competing that day. The Ilvermorny students like to be around our students, because they both have English as a first language, and the two sets of schools have always gotten on well" revealed Jenny.
"Well I'm pleased that they are all getting on so well. One of the aims of this competition is to allow our students to interact with people from all over the world, and make life-long friends"
"I'm not sure about the best friend thing, but the students are definately getting along"
"I'm glad to hear it".