In Sickness And In Health

When Jenny returned home after her meeting with Florence in St Mungo's, she was not in a good mood.
"Are you alright?" Asked Charlie, when Jenny marched into the house and threw her bag into one of the walls.
"I'm fine!" She snapped back.
Jenny took a deep breath and ran her fingers through her hair before turning back to face Charlie.
"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have shouted" she apologised, as she made her way towards the sofa he was sat on, and perched on one of its arms.
"What happened at St Mungo's?" Questioned Charlie.
"Nothing. I just had a disagreement with Florence, that's all"
"What were you arguing with her about?".

"Well, you know the reason that we couldn't have children, don't you?" Asked Jenny.
"Yeah, you said it was to do with something your parents made you take when you were a child, to help you get better" replied Charlie.
"I was very sick as a child. I spent more time in St Mungo's than my own house. As I got older I thought I was outgrowing it. But now I know that it was really because of the experimental trial I was a part of.
The worst part is, I don't even know when it was done. I took so many potions and remedies when I was younger, that I have no idea which was the one that changed my life forever" admitted Jenny sadly.
"Why are you bringing this up, when it causes you pain Jen?"
"Because, although the choices my parents made on my behalf took away my ability to have children, the treatment did not cure me. Nothing can cure me. The things they did helped and improved me, but I cannot be cured. Florence is worried about me as I get older, because I'm even more susceptable to illness, like I was when I was younger".

"But you're O.K now, aren't you? I mean you're not sick right now?" Quizzed Charlie.
"No, I'm not sick now. Over the summer my cold may have stuck around longer than it would've done in a normal healthy person. But aside from that I don't see any reason to worry. Florence is a Healer so I guess she is just scared for me. But I'm not worried, so you shouldn't be either" replied Jenny as she stood to her feet.
Charlie got up from the sofa and placed his hands on Jenny's shoulders.
"I made a vow remember. In sickness and in health. So if you do get ill, I want you to tell me, so that I can help you" he said.
"Don't worry. I'm not going to get sick" reassured Jenny.
"But if you do, you must let me know. I don't want you to hide things from me, ever"
"O.K, I promise I'll tell you if things do get bad".

"Good. Now are you going to tell me what else is bothering you? Because I can tell that there is something else you're not telling me" admitted Charlie.
Jenny sighed and turned away from him.
"Florence is worried that the 14 years I spent in St Mungos will start effecting me now, as my body gets older and grows weaker" she revealed.
"Does she suggest any ways of dealing with it, to stop your body detoriating?" Asked Charlie.
"She wants me to take things easy, and be careful from now on. But who wants to live like that? She also wants me to not ignore what's happened to my body in the past. But that is exactly what I want to do"
"Surely it's not good for you to ignore what you've been through"
"Eugh, you sound just like her"
"Is that a bad thing?".

Jenny turned back around to face Charlie and crossed her arms.
"The problem is, I can't think about something that I don't remember. I have no memories of my time in St Mungo's. I close my eyes and I can't picture any of it, not one minute of those 14 years. I remember getting tortured by Lucius Malfoy, I remember his voice and the pain I was in. But that's it. The next thing I am aware of is Harry standing in front of me.
I went to sleep one day and lost 14 years of my life. They say Remus visited me every single month, and left me flowers, but I have no memory of that. Whatever happened to me during those years, I know nothing about, because it's nowhere in my mind. That's why I try to ignore that it ever happened. If I think about it too much it makes me anxious, I want to know what people said and did to me during that time. Florence wants me to accept what happened and live the rest of my life like my body is some delicate flower. But I don't want that!".

Charlie approached Jenny and placed his arms around her, holding her tight to his chest.
"It's O.K. You're O.K. You're never going to be like that again" he said soothingly as he stroked her hair gently.
"I'm a mess" sniffed Jenny as she cried into Charlie's shoulder.
"No, you're not. You're going to be fine. You are the strongest person I know" reassured Charlie.
"My body is breaking down. And my mind's not in a much better place. I'm falling apart"
"I think that's how everyone feels when they realise that they're middle-aged".
Jenny chuckled and pushed herself back so that she could look into Charlie's eyes.
"I'm sorry that you ended up with someone as messed up as me" she apologised.
"Never apologise for being you. Anyway, I was never going to fall for someone ordinairy, was I? I'm not exactly perfect either. My body is covered in dozens of burns and scars, from my years spent working with dragons" admitted Charlie.
"Your scars make you perfect to me".

Charlie smiled and guided Jenny to the sofa where they sat side by side in each others arms.
"I didn't dare tell Florence that I'd started drinking again. Merlin knows what she'd say if she knew" sighed Jenny.
"Not including that drinking contest you had with Fleur, the other day, which was a one off. Having one glass every now and then, won't make you an alcoholic again" reassured Charlie.
"I'm having more than one a day most nights. Even Minerva scolded me for drinking the other day, when we were talking in her office, and I had a glass in my hand"
"I don't mind you drinking now, because I know that you are stressed. But once this tournament is over I want you to stop. I will help you through it if you need me to, just like I did last time"
"Thank you Charlie. I don't know what I'd do without you".

Charlie kissed Jenny's head, before resting his own against hers.
"Can you do me a favor?" Asked Jenny.
"Anything" promised Charlie.
"I need you to keep this a secret. I don't want Harry or Sky to know about any of this. The drinking, or Florences warnings about my health. This is my business, not their's, and I don't want to worry them. Harry, I know would just over-react if we told him, and I don't want that. Besides, nothing has happened yet. All we have are Florence's warnings, nothing concrete"
"I won't tell anyone, if you promise to take your health seriously from now on, and keep me informed with how you're feeling at all times"
"Alright, I promise".

"Good. Now let's go to bed" suggested Charlie as he stood to his feet.
"It's still early though" complained Jenny.
"You need a good night's sleep. It's the first challenge tomorrow, so you need to look your best, and be well rested" reminded Charlie.
"Eugh fine. Let's go to bed. I'm too tired to argue with you" replied Jenny as she took hold of Charlie's hands and allowed him to pull her off the sofa.
"Good. I love it when I win"
"Yeah, well don't get used to it".