New Team, New Roles

"Coran, we're coming back in, there's nothing out here." said Keith.

Him and Kanna had been searching the area where they battled Zarkon with hopes of finding some trace of Shiro.

The rest of the paladins were joined by the Blade of Marmora and together they had been fighting the Galra armies in nearby planets, liberating one by one.

Once the whole team was reunited on the castle's lounge, tensions were high due to Shiro's disappearance.

"I know this is hard to accept, but we need to start looking for a new pilot for the black lion." said princess Allura.

The comment felt like a punch in the gut to Kanna.

She hadn't slept since the battle with Zarkon. She couldn't accept Shiro was gone.

Everyone else seemed to be having a hard time too. Especially Keith.

"All of you may be ready to forget about Shiro, but I am going to find him. He is the only person who never gave up on me. I won't give up on him." said the red paladin, walking out of the room.

Allura looked down to floor, looking guilty.

"I- I didn't mean..."

"Its okay, Allura. We just need to give each other time to grieve. To hurt is as human as to breathe. We'll feel okay again when the time is right." said Kanna.

---

Kanna headed to the hangar, and she found Keith standing by himself, looking at the black lion.

"Hey." she said, approaching.

Keith looked at her and gave her a slight nod of acknowledgement.

"Look, I know you think you're the only one who cares that Shiro is gone." said Kanna. "But that's not true. Everyone is in pain."

She took a deep breath and continued.

"But you know better than anyone that Shiro would tell us that our mission is bigger than any one person. Even if that person is irreplaceable."

Keith looked down to the floor and closed his eyes.

"Yeah, I know. We need to find a way to form Voltron again. At least until we find Shiro."

Kanna placed a supportive hand on Keith's shoulder, but he responded by turning and giving her a hug.

She was surprised by the gesture, but she reciprocated with as much warmth as she could. Kanna knew he needed it.

---

Later that day, the team was gathered again and they discussed how to start looking for a new pilot.

"Allura, you told us which lions to pilot when we got here. Can't you do it again?" said Hunk.

"When all of you arrived, I was able to recognize the special qualities in each of you." responded Allura. "But searching the entire universe for a new paladin is impossible."

"Keith, you piloted the black lion when you had to save Shiro. Perhaps you're the one." said Coran.

"Keith would be the worst leader of Voltron!" said Lance.

"Yeah! We all have our thing. Keith is the loner, I'm the brain, Hunk is the nice one, Kanna is the wise one, Allura is the decision maker, Coran is the supportive old guy and Lance is the goofball."

"HEY!" said Lance.

Pidge shrugged.

"Either way, I wouldn't want Keith leading me anywhere!" said Lance, crossing his arms.