chapter 10

A/n
Thank you for all the birthday wishes everyone I hope you all have wonderful years as well and I want you all to know I appreciate you all.

Luna

That's it the last payment that I need to save my parents was now on its way, and my father can pay back what he owes. I feel so much weight lift from my shoulders as I watched the messenger leave the palace entrance. "Finally, I'm a free woman," I shouted out loud because no one was around to hear me. I began to dance my way down the hall happily until I rounded the corner and noticed Lucas walking. I skipped my way over to him and greeted him happily. "Lucas" I sang gleefully as I make him smile at me." Luna this was the last one, right?" " yes, I am officially free to do as I please." I was happy he remembered and he jumped up and down with me happily. "We should celebrate, how about a drink tonight on me." "That would be wonderful but to drink like that, we would have to go out to drink." I reminded him. "Then we will go out," he says." That is against the rules." I warned him." Do not worry about it, I have my ways." he says, I just nodded my head. I walked to my room very cheerfully and inside Liluo was tidying up. " You're back, I have tidied up the room for you. Also, you have received something," she says respectfully. Liluo is a very obedient young woman so, despite my wish for her to treat me comfortably, she still had feared. Noticing the excitement in my eyes, she pointed to my vanity there was a beautiful bouquet of flowers next to a box with a letter on it. They were so beautiful, but I didn't know who sent them until I read the letter.

Dear Luna

I know this was the last payment you had to send to your parents to pay back your debt, congratulations on completing your mission. I am happy you are not free to do as you please and these are just to congratulate you, I also want to let you know that now I will not hold back from pursuing you anymore. I have told my feeling, but I know you are still hesitant. I will show you; you have nothing to fear.

Sincerely Emperor Won

I had not forgotten what he told me that day in the plum blossom forest. I must think now how I will continue from here. Will, I return home to my family and live a normal life. Or do I stay here and be a noble scholar for an emperor who claims to love me. My thoughts were interrupted when Liluo spoke. " are you going to open the box?" She asked wanting to see when his majesty has gifted me. I slowly lifted the box to hold it, before I lifted the lid. When the lid was removed, we saw a white jade bracelet inside the box. "My goodness, why would the emperor send you such an expensive gift?" Liluo asked very surprised by the emperor 's gift to me. I said nothing in reply, but I can't accept such a valuable gift from the emperor. "Liluo I'm going for a walk," I placed the bracelet back into the box to leave but Liluo stopped me. " It is getting cold out, you must wear a coverup," She says getting a coverup for me. "Thank you, come on, " I said grabbing the box and we headed out together.

We walked around for a bit until we arrived in a cross way out. The palace is separated into parts, the emperor 's chambers in one separate palace as well as the empress mothers. The concubines in another palace, separate from the scholars, from the maids and the guards. With us all living in separate places the most often we meet in these crossway areas. Today by chance I came face to face with the emperor himself. The moment I saw him I hid the box behind my back. He was speaking with a senior scholar when he saw me and Liluo approaching. When we made eye contact, he smiled at me, but I didn't know what to do.

I panicked and turned around surprising Liluo "scholar Luna is there a problem?" she asked with a bow. "no but the emperor is here  with someone, we should not disturb them." I told her but she knew me too well and gave me look. "yes madam." she says bowing to me than going behind me and we began to walk back the way we came but my name was called by the emperor . "scholar Luna." he called I cured mentally not wanting to face him but at the same time I needed to return the gift. Liluo and I turned around slowly and walked to the emperor and his scholar, my heart was beating quickly in fear of him being upset about be returning his gift. we finally only stood about three feet away from each other so Liluo and I greeted them respectfully. " Respectfully greeting his majesty, respectfully greeting head scholar." we said as we bowed to them both. "you may rise." Emperor Won says softly. "Thank you, your majesty," we said before we raised our heads to look at them. The emperor and I seemed to only look at each other, without breaking eye contact until the emperor address the two of us." You two may go first, I would like to talk with scholar Luna alone." He says dismissing Liluo and the head scholar." Yes, your majesty." They said in unison before leaving the two of us alone. " Luna congratulations on finishing your task to save your family, I hope my gift found you well," he says. with a smile. " Thank you, your majesty, and yes I received your gift. It is beautiful and I am truly grateful for your concern, but I must return it to you. I sincerely apologize but I cannot accept such a valuable gift." I bowed to him while holding the box out for him to take but he didn't. " Rise, Luna," he says, I just silently obeyed his order. "Did you read the letter that came with the gift?" he asked I simply nodded my head. "Then you should know I am do everything I can to pursue you. This bracelet is me showing my affection, money is no object to me because I have more than enough of it," he says opening the box to see the jade bracelet. Accepting this is accepting my heart." he says he picked up the bracelet and took a step closer to me. I was not shy or touched by his words, but I understood his intentions. I took a step back and looked at him. "Your majesty please forgive me for being too bold, but if your way of earning my heart is bribing it, I don't want you to have it. I may not be rich, and I may not have come from the best upbringing, but I know I do not want to be with someone who believes my love can be bought." I said seriously. The emperor was surprised but I kept going to show him I am not one of his concubines. I do not care that he is an emperor with power and money that can make me do as he wishes." I know this is not appropriate, but you must know I don't want to be your toy. If you love me, I would ask you to love only me for who I am and accept my flaws as a human. I would do the same but if you cannot be loyal to one, I cannot accept your feelings." I tell him as I go onto my knees to beg for forgiveness. He let out a sigh before he spoke. "Rise, Luna." He said but I didn't move. He placed his hands on my elbows and slowly but gently pulled me up. I stood on my feet, but I did look him in the eyes.