6) The Past

The strong smell of weed filled Kenji and Darian's apartment as Darian and I passed the joint back and forth

The strong smell of weed filled Kenji and Darian's apartment as Darian and I passed the joint back and forth. If it was the old us, we would have been having a smoke break, but Darian and I both quit years ago—Darian longer than me. So, we opted for weed breaks instead.

Darian grinned as he handed me the joint. "I can't believe your Gabriel is back."

I frowned as I gave it back to him. "Stop calling him my Gabriel. I can't believe you said that shit in front of him."

"He's the Gabriel you've told me about," Darian said. "The one who broke your heart."

How did Darian remember this? The first time I told him about Gabriel was more than five years ago when we were working at my family's gas station.

"The one who left, and you thought he would never come back," he continued. "He's your Gabriel."

Great. Now, Gabriel thought he still meant something to me. In all honesty, I didn't know. When I told him I had to take care of him, I meant it. He was living in my apartment, and we had history. I would never let anything bad happen to him if I could do anything about it.

That didn't mean he held a significant place in my life.

"Why can't you just be happy?" Darian asked as we finished the joint. "The love of your life came back." He shook his head in disapproval. "If I were you, I would be ecstatic."

That was the thing, seeing him that first time in Shirley Shakes after five years had passed made me feel a way I hadn't felt in a long time. It was a feeling I couldn't allow myself to analyze because I didn't want to know.

"I told you he'll come back, by the way," Darian said with a cocky smile. "In that gas station, I told you 'maybe Gabriel will come back.' You brushed it off. Well, guess what?" He grinned. "Gabriel came back."

I rubbed my forehead. "Can we stop talking about Gabriel?"

It was ruining my high. Maybe the high was what was making Darian so talkative.

"That's the thing about you." Darian wagged his finger at me. "You say the things you don't mean. You're resisting Gabriel, but I bet deep down, you just want to kiss the hell out of him. Hell, maybe screw the hell out of him. If my college sweetheart showed up, I'll want them everywhere and anywhere."

He kept popping up in my mind the more Darian spoke, and it was pissing me off.

"You guys haven't seen each other in years," he went on. "Don't you wonder what it'll be like to fuck him again?" I groaned, not wanting to think about it. "Do you wonder if it'll be the same, or even better?"

Once again, he was stuck in my mind. His subtle smile. His dark hair, and his smooth skin. His skin was so soft. I always loved running my fingers along it. Every time I was inside of him, I couldn't stop touching him.