45) The Ultimatum

Enrique wanted us to have lunch at Orient Café again

Enrique wanted us to have lunch at Orient Café again. I knew it wasn't the best idea, but I accepted. We hadn't brought up the almost kiss, and it was time we talked about it. I couldn't lead him on, and I had to set some boundaries with him.

        The car ride there was in silence, and when we were seated at the small restaurant, more silence ensued.

        "Okay," I started, "we need to talk."

        "I agree," he said while bringing the spoon down from eating his egg drop soup.

        "Enrique," I said, "I know about our history and all, but you can't go around trying to kiss me. I have a partner. One who I love and am loyal to."

        I should have told Gyan about what happened, but at the same time, there was nothing to worry about. I was dealing with the situation. I didn't need him freaking out over nothing.

        "I don't regret it," Enrique said to my shock. "I'll try to kiss you again if I could."

        "Enrique..."

        "I know you're taken," he said. "I know I should respect that, but I can't. I can't respect a toxic relationship, and I can't respect a toxic man like Gyan."

        I narrowed my eyes. "Excuse me?"

        Toxic?

        "You heard me," he said. "Your relationship and partner are both toxic."

        "You know nothing," I said, "not about Gyan or our relationship."

        He had no right. He didn't know all that we'd been through. He only saw the tip of the iceberg with us.

        "You deserve better than Gyan," Enrique said. "He's marrying a woman, for God's sake."

        "He's going to call it off."

        "When?" he asked. "Haven't you and him been singing that same song for months now? But nothing's happening. I bet he'll tell you that he'll call it off the day of the wedding."

        "This is ridiculous."

        "You know it's true," Enrique said. "It doesn't matter if he's with you. It doesn't matter if you're the one he loves. The world doesn't know that. His family doesn't know that, and they matter. He obviously doesn't love you enough to claim you. To tell the world that you're the one he loves. He doesn't love you enough to stand up to his father."

        "I never should have told you any of this."

        Our food arrived, but neither one of us paid it any attention, focusing on each other.

        "I'm glad you did." He pushed his soup to the side. "He's not calling off the wedding. Deep down, you and him both know that. He doesn't have the guts."