57) The Growth

I got into another graduate program

I got into another graduate program. This time, it was one in Wyoming. The university was in the middle of nowhere, but it had one of the best English programs. I hadn't told Gyan yet, choosing to focus on meeting up with my father and Angelica.

After my father found out that I was staying in America, he had decided that it was time to meet his daughter. 

I smiled as I sat in the car with my father. He picked me up, and we were on our way to Angelica's flat.

He released a deep breath as his grip remained firm on the steering wheel. "Relax," I told him, and he glanced my way. "It's just Angelica."

"What if she's disappointed?" he asked. "What if I'm not what she expected?"

"She just wants to meet you," I reassured him. "She wants to meet her dad. You don't have to be perfect or larger than life."

"I'm not."

"She's old enough to know that," I reminded him.

He nodded. "I just hope she doesn't feel some type of way about me taking so long to find her."

I smirked. "You took twenty-four years to reach out to me."

He chuckled. "Es verdad. I can't disagree with that."

I rubbed his shoulder. "You got this."

"I got the job," he said, getting my attention. "The one at Italia Beauty. Your friend Enrique interviewed me, and I got the email that I got hired this morning."

I grinned. "That's great."

Even though Enrique and I didn't end up together, there was a reason we entered each other's lives to begin with, whether that was to enjoy the time we spent together. For us to learn a thing or two from each other. Enrique helping my father get a job was just an extra perk but not the main reason for our time together meaning something.

"I'll have to find a second job, too," my father said, "but it's a start. I want you to be proud of me like I am of you."

I smiled. "I am." He returned it. "Thanks for coming back."

"Even though I took over twenty years?"

"Even though you took more than twenty years," I said. "I know how hard it is to come back sometimes."

I couldn't believe I was saying this, but I was glad I got fired from Barkley's. If I wouldn't have lost my job, who knew how long it would have taken me to return. Gyan probably would have been married to Anushka with some kids by then. I didn't even want to think about things turning out that way.

My father and I continued talking until we arrived at Angelica's flat. When we got out of the car, I kept my hand on his shoulder, letting him know that I was there, and it was going to be okay.