34) The Realization

"Did you do it?" Nila asked from across the line

        "Do what?" I said.

        "Did you punch Ishaan?"

        Fuck.

        She was going to find out anyway.

        "Yeah," I confessed. "I'm not gonna lie. It felt good."

        She was silent for a second. Then she sighed. "It's okay," she said to my shock. "He kind of deserves it."

        What?

        "Really?"

        "Yeah," she replied. "I don't feel bad for him."

        "Even though he's your husband?"

        "He hasn't been acting like a husband."

        True.

         "I'm just looking out for you, Nila," I said. "I don't want anyone treating you or Alisha like shit."

        "Thanks," she said. "I really appreciate it. Although, next time, you probably shouldn't attack him in public, and don't do it again. One time is enough." I didn't know about that. "Speaking of Alisha, things have been kind of rough with her lately."

        "What's going on?"

        "She isn't going to her classes," Nila said. "She refuses to work at the gas station."

        "Why?"

        "I don't know," Nila said. "I've tried talking to her but nothing. Honestly, I don't know what to do with that girl. Something's always up with her."

        "She needs help," I reminded Nila. "A couple months ago, she tried killing herself."

        "Can we not talk about that?"

        "Not talking about it doesn't change the fact that it happened," I pointed out. "We can't keep sweeping it under the rug."

        "What are we supposed to do?"

        "Get her meds," I suggested. "Put her in therapy."

        "Meds don't solve everything," she said.

        "It's a start," I said. "We have to try something."

        "You talk to her then," she said. "I've tried. Maybe you'll have luck."

        "Maybe I will," I said. "I have to look out for you guys."

        "Do I have to remind you that I'm the older sister?"

        "Doesn't matter," I said. "We take care of each other."

        "How are you, by the way?"