9) The Safety

"Gabriel, I heard the news," Kenji said from across the line as I laid in bed

"Gabriel, I heard the news," Kenji said from across the line as I laid in bed. "You and Gyan hooked up?"

"What?" I said while sitting up. "How do you know?"

"Darian," Kenji replied, and I sighed.

"I don't even want to think about it."

That was such an amazing night. Spending time together. Opening up. Finally giving into our desires. It was perfect. Then the next morning came, and Gyan took it all away. I couldn't believe I drank and said all those things. At the same time, I didn't regret the kiss. I didn't regret any of them. Gyan said they meant nothing, but they never felt like nothing.

"Are you okay?" Kenji asked.

"I don't know," I said. "The most he can give me is hooking up. He said so himself."

"That's a lie," Kenji said. "That shit isn't going to work. Casual sex doesn't work when you have history. Darian and I learned that the hard way."

"I don't want casual sex," I confessed.

I wanted Gyan.

"Then it's definitely not going to work," Kenji said. "Even if you want to hook up or he wants it, don't. For your sanity. I still feel awful that Darian and I had our casual fling when he had feelings for me. I can't even imagine how hard it must have been, so don't do it. Be strong, and don't give in."

I was attracted to Gyan. Sexually, romantically, intellectually, and so much more. I wanted more, but I didn't know how I was going to resist him physically when I wanted that, too.

I groaned. "Thanks for checking up on me, Kenji."

"No problem," Kenji said. "Take it easy."

"I will," I said, and we talked a little bit before hanging up.

Gyan told Darian. If it meant nothing, why would he tell Darian? That question ran through my mind as I got ready for the day.

I put on one of my favorite button-down shirts and my black dress pants. Lately, I made sure to always look my best. I didn't know if it was to impress Gyan or if my vanity had increased. Either way, I looked better. Kenji would have been proud. Looking good was very important to him. It wasn't the most important thing, but it held some relevance.

When the doorbell rang, I left the bathroom to answer it. When I opened the door, I was shocked to see Nila in front of me.

Her eyes broadened. "Gabriel?"

I let her in, and I grabbed her jacket for her. We moved to sit on the couch with me smiling and her staring at me. She was curvier and lighter now.

"Yeah, it's me," I said.

"So, you're back from Australia?"

"I am," I said. "For good."