Feedback/Backstory

We've reached the end here after almost two years of me writing this. I've been posting this story since September of 2018, and I didn't expect to fall in love with this story like I did. Everything just came together, and I'm happy with how it turned out.

After I complete every story I write, I like to get some feedback on how to improve the story if I decide to go back and edit or just to know what I could improve on in my writing. The key here is to give constructive criticism, not troll. If you think something is stupid, tell me why it's stupid, not just that it is. I'll appreciate it very much if everyone gave me their opinions in a mature and respectable way. Thank you.

Feedback:

What part of this book caught your attention the most (cover, blurb, tags, title etc.)? Why?

What made you keep reading this book? Why?

Did you like the main characters Gyan and Gabriel? Why or why not?

Who was your favorite character? Why?

Who was your least favorite character? Why?

What was your favorite scene of the book? Why?

What were some things you liked about this book? Why?

What were some things you disliked about this book? Why?

On a scale from 1-10, what would you rate this book? Why?

Backstory:

This story was never supposed to happen. Gyan was a minor character in Loving a Goon who didn't make much of an impression on me when I planned out his character, but he really came to life and intrigued me when I posted the story on here. Something about him drew me in, and I suddenly wanted to write a story about him. Some readers seemed interested in it, too, and Gyan's character was so interesting in Loving a Goon that I knew I had a lot to work with in his own story.

His views on love. His plan to marry an Indian woman and never come out to his family. His personality and mentality. Then there was that brief scene in the gas station where he talked about Gabriel, and I knew I had a story on my hands. This is one of the things I love most about writing. You never know how the story or it's characters will turn out. Some characters you don't expect shine and some plot plans change.

Gabriel sure has changed from his original character. I didn't expect to love Gabriel as much as I did. I love how quirky he is, and I absolute adore him and his views and personality, just like Gyan, even if in a different way. Gyan and Gabriel are so different from Kenji and Darian, and I appreciate that. This book is different from Loving a Goon, and it really highlights my growth as a person and a writer.

I think my writing has improved, and this story is a lot more mature (along with the characters), with more adult themes like finding your place when you're an adult but don't have things figured out, living your authentic life, and self-growth. This story also deals with more queer topics like the nuances of coming out (which I think has more depth here than in Loving a Goon), how community and other factors like race impact being queer, and how diverse being queer is.

A part of that is because when I wrote Loving a Goon, I tried convincing myself and living my life like I was a straight, cisgender girl. Now, I know I'm none of those things, and I'm more attuned with my queer identity, which I think shows in this book.

This is probably my favorite story I've written so far for all these reasons, but I'm still grateful for Loving a Goon, because this book wouldn't exist without that story, and Kenji and Darian will always hold a special place in my heart.

I'll probably be taking a break from Wattpad because I'm currently focusing on non-fiction writing right now. I've been writing personal essays on a platform called Medium, with pieces centered around LGBTQ+ issues, race, relationships and mental health. I'm currently exploring a different domain of writing, but I won't completely give up fiction writing (my first love).

Thank you guys for all the patience and support. I can't express it enough. Thank you to those who read this after Loving a Goon and the new readers. Thank you for going on another journey with me and my characters. Until next time!

-October Silver