39) The Consent

* Trigger Warning: Potentially Distressing Content Ahead

* Reader discretion is advised

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd been at the motel for a couple days now. I was really getting sick and tired of this place, but it was no one's fault but my own. I brought this on myself. I couldn't even contact Gyan, not only because he probably wouldn't have answered, but also out of my own shame.

I was just grateful I had my job at Italia Beauty. I sat in the lounge area, eating my sandwich.

What I didn't expect was for Enrique to take a seat opposite me. My eyes widened. "Hey," he greeted with a smile.

"Hey."

The two of us were cordial, but we hadn't talked since our "breakup." "You really need to make friends here," he said. "You're always sitting alone. It's kind of sad."

I didn't miss the smirk on his lips. "I'm here to work, not make friends," I said.

Making friends got me into this mess.

"That's no way to live."

Enrique used to sit with me when we were "talking."

I shrugged. "I'll be fine."

He perked a brow. "Are you? You've been kind of weird lately."

"How?"

I knew how. I just didn't want to admit it.

"You seem out of it," he said. "Lost in your thoughts and a little sad."

"Just life." I played with my sandwich. "Don't worry about me."

He nodded before averting his gaze. "How's Gyan?"

I stiffened, a frown forming on my face. "I'll rather not talk about it."

He watched me with his head down. "Trouble in paradise?"

"I don't want to talk about it."

"Ah." He leaned back with his arms crossed. "That's what it is. Something's up with you and Gyan. That's why you're so down."

"You'll love that, wouldn't you?" I narrowed my eyes at him. "'I told you so?' Is that what you're going to say?"

"Calm down," he said. "I have better things to do than wish for the demise of your relationship."

"Well, it ended," I told him, "and it's no one's fault but mine."