43) The Party

Enrique invited me to his brother Miguel's birthday party

Enrique invited me to his brother Miguel's birthday party. It was supposed to start at six, but when I arrived, no one was there. Even Enrique's sister Lucia wasn't there. Enrique was even surprised to see me, but I offered to help prepare for the party. It gave me the opportunity to formally meet Enrique's family, even though they kept things anything but formal.

The party only started to kick off around nine and by ten the small house was packed. Cars were parked all over the place, even in the grass of the front yard. There was an inflatable for the kids. Men drank, and women gossiped. Even Enrique's abuela was drinking while everyone danced. Children were scattered around the place, and there was plenty food. There was pozole with meat, pollo con mole, arroz rojo and so much more.

By eleven, Enrique and I walked outside on the patio, and that was when I noticed more people coming in from the front door.

My eyes widened. "Now before they're coming?" I asked Enrique as we found a spot in the corner that didn't have too many people.

He chuckled. "Why do you sound surprised?"

"The party started at six."

"I'm amazed you got here at six," he said. "Who comes to a Mexican party on time?"

Me.

"I'm a very punctual person."

It always annoyed me how Ma and Angelica weren't. Being on time showed respect.

"I've never heard a Hispanic person say such a thing," he said. "Then again, I've never heard a person of color say such a thing."

I got it. I didn't match the stereotype. Even Gyan would tell me about how Indians were never on time to things.

We leaned against the railing, staying close to each other while Enrique drank Victoria, and I sipped on water. I had my fair share of tequila for the night, and I refused to drink beer.

"You seem a little happier," Enrique said. "Still disturbed, but better."

"I'm not disturbed."

I refused to give Steven that power over me. Gyan finally told me a family secret. Apparently, Arya was sexually abused by her stepbrother Aarav for years. It didn't come to light until five years ago, and now he was in prison. Then again, he did try to kill Kenji and Darian, too. It was a wild story.

Kenji and Darian had been through some wild things.

Even with all the Jessica fiasco, their lives seemed pretty tame now compared to the past.

It was incredible because Arya was in such a good place now. She had her beautiful girlfriend. She was satisfied in her career. She had her friends and family. She was nothing like the girl Gyan told me she used to be. Most of all, she was happy. Her mother died. One of her best friends died. She was sexually abused and battled other demons, but she was still happy.