13) The Reality

Kenji and I walked around Shirley Town Center with our shave ice in our hands

Kenji and I walked around Shirley Town Center with our shave ice in our hands. He got strawberry, and I got kiwi. Kenji seemed to like anything with strawberry.

        When we sat down at a bench, that was when I turned to him. "Okay, so what's going on?"

        He brought his shave ice down from his lips. "Can't I just want to hang out?"

        "You can," I said, "but something seems to be up."

        He looked forward and sighed. "I feel like shit."

        "What happened?"

        He refused to look at me. "Remember that girl I talked about? The one I work with?"

        "Jessica Fuentes?" I said, knowing he had talked about her a couple times.

        Kenji nodded. "I like her."

        I almost choked on my shave ice, and he finally looked at me. "You like girls?"

        "I was dating girls before I was dating Darian."

        I thought Kenji was straight up gay. I guessed you really couldn't make assumptions. "You legitimately like girls? Not like a cover up?"

        "It's not a cover up," Kenji said. "I can date girls, guys, transgender, non-binary, whatever. People are people, regardless of gender and race."

        That was cool. "So, you're pansexual?"

        Kenji winced in thought. "Technically, but I don't really label myself."

        "I respect that," I said. "But you do identify with the LGBTQ community, right?"

        There was nothing wrong with ignoring labels, but what I couldn't stand was people who were obviously queer refusing to identify with the community.

        "I do," Kenji said to my relief. "I can be with any gender, but I tend to like girls more than other genders."

        "Including men?"

        "Including men," he answered.

        "Wow." My mind was blown. "So, you like a girl."

        Kenji slowly nodded. "I don't want to, but I can't help it. Jessica is amazing. She's funny, kind, and driven. And she's hot."

        "You guys work together," I said. "You spend a lot of time together, so it makes sense. Plus, you prefer girls, and I'm assuming you haven't been with a girl in a while."

        Kenji sent me look. "You know that I don't have to be with a guy and a girl at the same time to be satisfied, right? I just have to be with a person I love. That person can be of any gender."