25) The Heartbreak

"You had sex with Jessica?" I shouted as Kenji and I sat on the island in the flat

"You had sex with Jessica?" I shouted as Kenji and I sat on the island in the flat. He nodded. "When?"

        Kenji drank some of his Pepsi. "We've actually had sex a couple times."

        "When did this start?"

        "Not long after Darian and I broke up."

        His tone was so nonchalant. As if he wasn't telling me that he was hooking up with his crush after breaking up with the man he'd been with for five years.

        "Why, Kenji?" I asked. "You and Darian just broke up."

        "Actually," he said, "we've been broken up for weeks now."

        He stood up to trash the empty can before returning to sit at the island with me. "Why are you so emotionless right now?"

        Lately, that was how Kenji had been. After the break up, it seemed as if all life had left him, and he was just going through the motions of the day.

        "What do you want me to do?" he asked. "Cry over Darian all day? Crying is pointless. It won't bring him back."

        For a brief second, a look of hurt took over his face, but then it was gone again—replaced by that empty look.

        "Kenji," I said, "I don't think you should be hooking up with anyone right now. You're not in a good place emotionally."

        "It makes me feel better."

        "How?"

        "Jessica is gorgeous and amazing," he said. "We have fun together, even without sex." He shrugged. "Plus, the sex is good. She's very adventurous, and surprisingly, I can unleash my kinks on her. We have very kinky sex."

        I was in disbelief. "What kinks do you have?"

        This wasn't the time to unravel Kenji's kinks, but I was curious.

        "We do a lot of bondage," he said, making my eyes expand. "I love bondage. I'm in charge most of the time. With Darian, he's usually in charge. With Jessica, it's like we're checking off sexual escapades off a bucket list. As if this will end soon, and maybe it will."

        His tone was leveled, again, no emotion.

        "Are you going to start dating her now?"

        He thought about it. "I don't know. I don't think I can really date anyone right now. Not even Jessica."

        "You're heartbroken." He shrugged. "No. This is serious. Allow yourself to grief you and Darian's relationship. Don't hold it in."

        "I don't know what else to do," he said. "If I allow myself to feel, it hurts." That look of hurt returned. "Thinking about Darian hurts." His voice wavered. "I can't bear it, so I'm not going to. Being with Jessica, it hurts less. I can focus on something else. Someone else. I don't know how me and Darian ended up like this."