61) The Wedding

Kenji and Darian's wedding was beautiful

Kenji and Darian's wedding was beautiful. Both Kenji and Darian's parents walked them down the aisle. There was a rainbow cake. The groomspeople all wore suits, and none of us paired up in the typical heteronormative way with girls and boys walking down the aisle together. The event occurred near Shirley Town Center at a country club Darian's father went to regularly. Almost everything went as plan, but it didn't stop Kenji from freaking out at times. I guess his anxiety never took a break, not even on his big day.

         Watching the two grooms kiss, dance and express their love for each other without apprehension or judgment was inspiring, and it only cemented in my mind my desire to have a wedding of my own. Glancing at Gyan, knowing he was no longer engaged only filled my heart with warmth and love.

         This was finally possible for us, too.

         I looked around the table at all the groomspeople talking and laughing, and I felt a sense of belonging. I didn't know these people well, but I wanted friendships like this, where being together was effortless while everyone cared enough to maintain the relationship. For once, I cared enough about my relationships with people because this feeling of contentment and joy was what mattered most.

        Not graduate school. Not being a lawyer or having a fancy job. The people in my life were priority.

        Kenji and Darian walked over to our table holding hands, having removed their jackets and loosening some of the buttons on their shirts.

        "Everyone good?" Darian asked as they stopped beside me and Gyan.

        "We're good," Gyan answered, but Arya sent them a look.

        "Nice of you to finally acknowledge us," Arya snapped, but her lips curled up into a smirk.

         This was their first time approaching us because they'd spent a majority of the reception talking to various guests. It was amazing to see all these people come together to support and celebrate queer love. Not only Kenji's and Darian's but all the other queer couples present, like Arya and Priyanka. Even Kenji's mother, who was a lesbian, and her wife Caroline.

        Kenji shook his head. "Arya never takes a break from being snarky."

        Darian kissed his teeth. "Not even at our wedding."

        "Which is incredible, by the way," Alissa assured them. "This is probably the third happiest moment of my life, after my own wedding and Camila's birth, of course." Alissa pinched her daughter's cheek, and the toddler was one of the cutest kids I'd ever seen. Her brown hair nicely kept and her hazel eyes taking us all in.

        "I wish our Camila was here," Kenji said with a sad smile. "She would have loved this."

        Their friend. Everyone was here but her, and it was a reminder that every milestone in this friend group's life would always be bittersweet due to them experiencing it with one of them missing.