40) The Duo

I walked into my father's office, not being able to take it anymore

I walked into my father's office, not being able to take it anymore. Ever since I confessed, we hadn't spoken. I knew what I did was wrong, but he couldn't hold it against me forever. At the same time, I expected greater repercussions.

When I arrived at my parent's house, I headed for my father's office, knowing he would most likely be there. Sure enough, he sat at his desk, looking over some paperwork.

"Papa," I said with a knock on the opened door. He glanced up. "Hey." I closed the door behind me before approaching him. "Can we talk?"

His attention returned to his papers. "About what?"

"You know what," I said. "About what I did."

"It's done," he said in a surprisingly calm voice. "There's nothing to talk about."

"I stole from Appeto."

"But you fixed it."

"Nila fixed it," I corrected. "If it wasn't for her, I'll still be Arush's little puppet. She fixes a lot."

"Don't do this again."

"Nila deserves to run the company," I said anyway. "Not me. Not only because she knows more and is more qualified and saved the company but because she would never do what I did."

"I don't want to talk about this!" he yelled. "Now, enough with this nonsense about Nila. You have other priorities right now. Like your engagement party."

I almost groaned. I forgot about that. Everything was happening so fast. "I can't do this, Papa," I said. "Right now, I don't even care anymore. I don't care what the aunties and uncles would think. I don't care about how this would make you look. I don't care if I'm selfish. I don't care about any of it."

I did care about Gabriel and what we had. I shouldn't have because he betrayed me, but I also cared about myself and my own well-being. I couldn't marry Anushka, and at this rate, I would be marrying her in no time. I couldn't wait the day of the wedding to call this off.

"I'm not marrying Anushka," I said, and my father narrowed his eyes. "I don't care what you say. I'm a grown man, and it's my life. I'm going to marry someone I love."

"Gyan," he said through gritted teeth.

"I'm calling it off," I went on. "Cancel the engagement party. Cancel the wedding. The Kumars can be pissed all they want."

I didn't give a damn. Gabriel cheating put things into perspective. Fuck what people wanted, including my father. I was going to look out for myself from now on, and if that made me selfish, so be it.

"Actually, not only am I done with the wedding, but I'm done with Appeto, too." My father's eyes widened. "I'll be giving you my resignation letter soon. I'm going to be working at Varun-ji's company from now on. We talked, and he'll love to have me join his team."