48) The Ceremony

"Gyan," Nila said from across the line, "if there's a time to end this, it's now

"Gyan," Nila said from across the line, "if there's a time to end this, it's now. The engagement party is literally in an hour."

I groaned, not wanting to be reminded of that. We were having the ring ceremony for me and Anushka today, and I couldn't comprehend how I felt. I wasn't thrilled, but I didn't really feel much of anything either.

"What am I supposed to do?" I asked my sister.

"I don't know," she admitted, "but after this ceremony, it's going to be harder. We're accepting Anushka into our family and making a public commitment."

"So, you want me to call it off literally an hour before?"

She sighed. "I'm just looking out for you. And Gabriel. After this ceremony, if you call it off, it's going to be even more of an embarrassment. Everyone will know about the wedding and the date and all of that. You should have ended this before today even happened."

"Thank you, Captain Obvious," I said. "As if there's ever a good time to tell Papa that I'm gay and in a relationship with a man and don't want to go through with an arrangement that will save his ass."

"There will never be a good time, Gyan," Nila agreed. "Honestly, it seems like the more time passes, the worse the timing is. If you're waiting for the right time, it'll never happen. Sometimes, you just have to rip the bandage off."

"Nila..." I paused. "I think I've done it. I've finally gotten myself into such deep shit that I don't know if I can come out."

Very few things bothered me or worried me. I was always that laid-back guy. This was different. I didn't know what to do. I didn't even know where to begin.

"You're not a coward," my sister told me. "You're just in a rut." I scoffed. That was one way to put it. "You're stuck, and inaction leads to even more inaction. You just have to get the ball rolling. Once you find that momentum, go with it, and keep going, even if you're scared and you feel like it couldn't have been a worse time."

"There's no right time," I repeated.

"Exactly," she said, "so, just pick a time. Just know that it's best to find that time sooner rather than later. Don't wait for the altar. That'll be a waste of everyone's time and money."

"They're already spending so much money on this party."

We reserved a big banquet hall for the event. Then, there was all the money spent on the gifts the families were supposed to exchange, the catering, the decorations, the attire etc.

"And it's only the beginning," Nila said. "You know how many pre-wedding ceremonies there are. Indian weddings themselves last days. Then, there are post-wedding ceremonies. It's a lot, Gyan."