55) The Decision

I got accepted into the graduate program at Shirley Heights University

I got accepted into the graduate program at Shirley Heights University. I received the news today through an email, and it was one of many things that made me doubt my decision to return to Sydney. I was happy, but at the same time, it only confused me further. My flight was in a couple hours, and I had to head to the airport soon.

        I already had my suitcases in the living room for when I decided to head out. All I could do was take the flat in. I enjoyed my time here. It felt like a home.

        Then again, that was because of Gyan.

        Thinking about him only made it that much harder to leave. Was I making the right choice? Contrary to what my father thought, I couldn't change my mind now.

        That didn't make staying less tempting.

        As I took my phone out to get the Uber, the front door flew open, revealing Gyan as he took me in.

        "I did it," he said while closing the door behind him. "I came out to my dad."

        My eyes widened as I stood up. "What?"

        He approached me. "I told him I was gay." He flashed me a smile. "The wedding is off. I'm not marrying Anushka anymore."

        I stared at him, processing his words. This was actually happening. I'd been waiting to hear those words for months now.

        "You're not marrying her?" I asked, wanting to confirm.

        He shook his head. "My dad's pissed, for multiple reasons, but Anushka isn't a problem anymore." He grabbed my arms as he looked into my eyes. "I'm officially a single man." Then his eyes darkened. "Although, I don't want to be single."

        I got out of his hold. "Gyan."

        "I want to be with you," he said. "My bachelor days are over. My time of fucking random guys is done. I don't want to marry a woman anymore and live a lie to please my father and everyone else who wouldn't approve of who I am. I don't want any of that." His eyes softened. "I just want you."

        That was everything I wanted to hear. At the same time, I didn't feel as relieved as I expected.

        I sighed with my hands on my face. "Gyan, why do you have to do this now?"

        He frowned. "I thought you'll be happy."

        "I am," I admitted. "Believe me." The weight of his words and action were still cementing in my mind. I was in disbelief that he actually did it. "I just wish it happened sooner."

        "We can be together now," he said. "No Anushka. We don't have to worry about my dad. There's nothing stopping us."

        "Except for me going to Australia."