- 19 Pretend

[No tumblr gif]

Pretend

In the end, it's difficult to sneak Taehyung into the building, now with the reporters also crowding the back door. Namjoon ends up pulling a plan B and having Jeongguk go out in the main entrance and make a statement to the press of how he doesn't approve of any hateful commentary or actions directed towards Taehyung. This way, the press at the back door rushes to the front and Yoongi and Seokjin manage to sneak Taehyung in; while Jeongguk also made his statement earlier than anticipated.

The plan worked out well.

Now, instead of Namjoon, Hoseok, and Jimin, Jeongguk is stuck in the practice room with Taehyung. Seokjin was kind enough to bring them coffee and shoo the others away to leave them in some privacy.

"I wish I could take you out to a real coffee shop to talk, but this is fine too," Jeongguk says suddenly and Taehyung splutters a little, blushing. Jeongguk is amused as he hands him a napkin.

"Do you want to go through with this?" Taehyung asks, going straight to the point. "For the nation to know us as a couple?"

"Yeah, sure," Jeongguk answers nonchalantly.

It's too smooth and totally uncalled for, the way Jeongguk seems so confident about this and not worried for his reputation at all. Taehyung is a bit baffled and also a bit offended and how non-serious Jeongguk is being. "That means we'll have to do couple-y things in public!" He says, like it's the most logical explanation.

"So what?" The idol said, still unfazed.

Taehyung doesn't know if he's angry because the other isn't apparently taking this as seriously as him, or is it because he doesn't take him as serious in general. "That means you'll have to kiss me and hold my hand, things like that," he finally said, averting his gaze.

"So what?" Jeongguk repeats once again, setting his cup down on the table and looking straight at Taehyung. "We like each other, don't we?"

Silence.

And when he's greeted by nothing but unresponsiveness from the other male, something settles down to Jeongguk. Some sort of realization that suddenly makes him aware, suddenly answers all of his questions as to why Taehyung was so worried about this, why he wasn't seeing this as only an invasion of privacy like Jeongguk was. Why he was so distressed about everyone finding out and it's because he didn't want anyone to associate them together.

"You don't like me," he plainly says in the end and Taehyung visibly flinches. It's like he cowers away and hopes his jacket will swallow him whole. Jeongguk wants nothing more than to bring him close, hug him, and whisper that it's okay, but now he knows Taehyung might not want that. He never considered the possibility before.

"I-It's not like that, Jeonggukkie-" Taehyung says, but then stops, the use of the nickname feeling too intimate. Jeongguk doesn't like the tone, because it sounds like Taehyung should be using it with a child. "I just- I... I really don't know... I don't know if I like you like... like that."

And ouch, Jeongguk just wishes Taehyung said he doesn't like him and that's it. This way, it almost sounds like he's disgusted of him, like he can't see him romantically. Because it doesn't matter that last night, Jeongguk both fucked him and made love to him. It doesn't matter that he told him how beautiful he is, how he felt like they belong in each other's arms. It doesn't matter because Taehyung can't like him like that.

"Alright," Jeongguk says, tonguing the inside of his cheek. It seems like he forgot Taehyung knows that's his habit to do whenever he's distressed. "So, we just tell them we aren't dating and that's it?"

"No!" Taehyung replies all too quickly with wide eyes and the way Jeongguk raises an eyebrow at him (like in a judgmental way) makes Taehyung bite his lip for a moment. "I don't want you to lose your career, Jeongguk..."

"Then what are going to do?" Jeongguk said.

"Pretend," Taehyung says, all too quickly once again. He doesn't hold back this time, "Pretend that you like to kiss me in public, pretend that you like holding my hand around people. Just pretend that we've been dating for much longer than they think and now we were exposed. Answer the question they ask you and just lie. Lie when they ask you when you fell in love with me; lie when they ask you how we began going out. Just... just- pretend, please."

Silence, once again.