Chapter 15

Alison glanced over into her living room, finding Alice sitting on the couch with her knees pulled up to her chest. She had a light T-shirt on, but the green glow of the Spriggan in her body shone through the clothing. She could see the tree bark growing on the back of her neck and disappearing into her hairline like a part of it was attached to her brain. More bark grew on her upper arms, just under the sleeves of her shirt.

She wanted to walk over and hug the vampire, but she knew that the twins had said was right. The Daybreaker needed a little time to process everything. To start picking up the pieces of what she was, and what she could become again.

She turned and headed into the kitchen where the twins and Peredite were sitting at the table talking.

Kira smiled softly when Alison came in. "Good morning. Did you sleep well?"

"I would have slept better if you had stayed in bed with me." Alison answered, heading over to the counter to put together breakfast. "Anyone want anything?"

"No thank you." Aviri smiled.

"I'm afraid you're the only one in the house who actually needs to eat anything to survive." Peredite added.

"Not even you Peredite?"

"That's correct. I survive off the energy around me. I could of course take that energy from other beings, but its not necessary."

"Good to know. Does Zoe want pancakes?"

"She'd be content with just drinking the syrup." Aviri laughed.

"She was about to ask for it." Kira cringed.

Alison chuckled herself before making pancakes while the sisters talked about how annoyed they were with Zia showing up out of the blue.

"I am grateful that Alison smells like Luna. Otherwise Zia may start to catch on." Kira sighed.

"That's true. It's bad enough Zia keeps visiting randomly. I wonder if she already suspects something's wrong?" Aviri crossed her arms over her chest.

Alison sat down beside Kira and stabbed a fork into her pancake. "If Zia is older, does that mean that she's stronger than you two? Like how Alice is stronger than her brother?"

"While strength does come with age, it also comes with skill. Alice's power makes her far superior to anyone who can't counter her ability, so Alex made for an easy target. His power does pose a concern. There's always the chance we only dispatched a clone and he's still out there somewhere, plotting. One of Alice's clones could also still be alive and serving Agora." Aviri seemed to drift off into thought.

"To answer your question, no. Zia isn't stronger than we are. Aviri could likely best her in magic, and I can close distance too quickly for her to counter." Kira explained.

"So how long are we supposed to make her wait?" Alison asked, glancing towards the archway to the living room.

"It's going to take some time." Kira answered.

"Let her brood for a bit." Aviri added, getting Alison to glare at her.

"I get that she's done really bad things, but you can't just keep torturing her."

"We're not torturing her. We're ignoring her." Aviri explained. "She's spent her entire life being conditioned to think that we're goody-two-shoes vampires that don't know how to be cruel. Because of which she likely thought she could take advantage of our kindness before stabbing us in the back. We need to show her that we're more than happy to give her that kindness, but that we can also be far worse than her family if push comes to shove."