Chapter 32

Alice looked up from her book as Kira and Alison reappeared in the living room looking at each other with shock written on their faces. The Daybreaker rolled her eyes as she couldn't hear their mental conversation before she cleared her throat, snapping the two of them out of their trance.

"Did the two of you have fun in Exodious? You look like you saw a ghost." Alice questioned.

"Minerva knew of Alison's existance and my relationship to her." Kira explained, looking at Alice with shock still covering her face.

"Well she would have had to. The person who helped Luna sustain the barrier around her village was also the same spirit who helped Minvera with a few issues in the Kingdom she helped. She and the spirit ended up putting her son on the throne of that very same Kingdom." Alice explained.

"Minerva has a son who's a King?" Alison asked, looking at Kira like it was information she should have been made aware of.

"I never payed any mind to politics and such. I was too busy worrying about you." The vampire confessed.

"That's kind of important information." Alison narrowed her eyes. "Do you know the friend who helped make the barrier?"

"I always thought that Luna made the barrier herself. She's a proficient mage, so I never thought anything of it."

"Kira." The wolf whined. "You always tell me that I have to ask more questions. How is it that you never did?"

"I was told not to trust anyone in Zia's family tree, including the people that she's turned. So that's exactly what I did. I didn't know that Luna and my mother trusted Minerva or Anikke."

"But you said that you trusted Anikke?"

Kira looked to Alice who looked like someone had just kicked her dog at the mention of Anikke. "I trust her due to the circumstances that happened earlier in our lives. She's also been separated from her mother and living with humans in the Hunter's Guild."

"Do you know where she is? Maybe we can have a conversation with her?"

"Anikke does not take visitors." Alice explained. "While she's not a slave, she's more of a servant than anything else. The Guild members that give her a home don't enjoy it when the vampires from Exodious come and visit her, so she usually gets an earful whenever they do."

"You visit Anikke?" Alison asked. "Didn't you-"

"Alison." Kira interrupted. "Alice is free, she's allowed to do as she pleases. If she's trying to make up for the things that she did in the past then that's her decision."

Alison sighed deeply. "Look, I thought a fight was going to break out, and now I feel like I owe Minerva for my life, so I'm a little shaken up."

"It's news to me as well." Kira narrowed her eyes like she was shocked that she didn't think that Kira felt the same way about Minerva. "I already have Peredite looking into her just to be absolutely certain... but..."

"But?"

"But if what she said is true, then neither Zia or Agora have the means to attack Nightshade village. If Zia's children refuse to fight or help her in any way, then her servants and soldiers won't join her, and if Zia doesn't attack in full force neither will Agora."

"But Rose doesn't have an army." Alison questioned.

"No, but she has groups of people willing to defend her to the death for any reason. The Dragon Lords worship the ground she walks on. If she asks for help defending the people of this village they will be here in an hour, and Rose is not a push over."