Chapter 24

Alice followed Sarah out the front door. The vampire didn't seem nervous, but her near mental breakdown earlier all but confirmed that she was still a frail mind.

The mage waved her hand out in front of herself, and a portal opened before her. She motioned for Alice to go first, and the vampire stepped through with little hesitation.

Sarah followed after her, and met Alice in her pocket dimension, which was unsurprisingly set up like a library.

"Did you collect all these?" Alice questioned, looking up at the seemingly endless books.

"I did." Sarah nodded. "Are you okay?"

"No." Alice explained. "I'm not entirely sure how to process everything. I watched Agora slaughter my brother. I watched him tear him apart and yet he was standing right in front of me like nothing had happened. He might have been a bit older than I remembered, but even still." The vampire played with her hands nervously, something that Sarah was shocked to see.

The last time they had met, Alice had the emotional capacity of a brick wall. Like everything she felt was held back or numb. But rumors told her that the only emotion she was known for was her anger and rage. She had never known defeat before, except by Kira Nightshade whom according to Sapphire, she had never once used her power on.

If Alice was so inclined to obey her father, why wouldn't she use that power on her? She could win any battle just by ripping the soul from a person's body without so much as moving a finger. Yet she never tried to use it on Kira to get her way?

Sarah couldn't hold back anymore. "Why did you never use your power on Kira?"

Alice looked back at her, not showing any emotion on her face but her eyes were so very broken.

"You never used your power on Kira, but you easily used it on people like your brother and father. Why not her?"

Alice turned away from her, looking around at the book shelves. "If I used my power on Kira, and killed her in that forest, my father would imprison Luna, and have chained Alison to his throne to be used as a trophy, before impregnating her, to use her child to bring about the Prophecy of Annihilation." The vampire explained. "If Kira was able to defeat me, maybe the prophecy won't come true."

"But if Kira and Alison are together, won't their child bring the prophecy instead?"

"Their hearts are too kind to create a monster. But my father will groom that child to be everything they need to be to destroy Exodious."

"So you were protecting the world?"

"I was protecting a little girl from ending up like me." Alice confessed. "Alison lived a happy life... She would have been a slave if I hadn't saved her. In order to do so, I needed to make sure that Kira would defeat me."

"You couldn't save her yourself?"

"Anything I did, Alex could see and feel. If I took that child, he would always know where I was and where I was going. I'd never be able to keep her safe."

"Then what did you intend to do with me?" Sarah glared. "If you couldn't protect her, how did you plan on protecting me?"

"I was taking you to the Nightshades." Alice answered.

Sarah nearly fell over in shock. "What!? Why would you do that?"

"They could protect you." Alice explained. "I would never have been able to. My brother would hunt me down, and once he got his hands on you, he would torture you for his amusement, or kill you to see if I would survive."

"That doesn't justify all the horrible things you did!" Sarah snapped, like she was trying to find something to argue about.

"No. It doesn't." Alice looked back at the mage, her broken eyes still filled with sadness.