Chapter 21

Alison smiled as she looked up at her school building, finally strong enough to go back and get on with her life. She knew with Kira around she didn't have to go to school. But the short time they spent apart helped herself a bit better. She was worried that too much time together might make them hate each other, and the vampire didn't seem to bothered by it.

As she made her way into the building she overheard an argument from the gymnasium. Curiosity got the best of her and she made her way over, knocking on the door to get their attention. "Everything okay in here?"

"Oh! Alison, you're back!" The young man smiled. "We heard you were really sick!"

"I was." Alison shrugged. "But I'm doing much better. I heard you two arguing, can I ask what it's about?"

The woman he was talking to sighed. "Hannah hurt her arm on a hiking trip. She won't be able to play for the concert tonight."

"There's a concert tonight?" Alison raised an eyebrow.

"Yeah!" The boy smiled. "Our band usually plays in the club on South Street, and tonight they're doing a huge event to raise money for charity. They asked us to be the main event, but they wanted Hannah to do a solo."

"Unfortunately, she got hurt, and no one else at the school knows how to play the violin. And even if they did, they wouldn't have time to prepare the song." The girl growled.

"Wait... You need a violinist?" Alison raised an eyebrow.

"Yes. And Unless you can pull one out of your ass, we're fucked."

"Well... maybe not my ass... but my girlfriend is in town and she happens to be a professional violinist. I'd have to see if she could, but I'll definitely ask." Alison shrugged.

"Wait really!? Oh my god that would be amazing! Even if she couldn't, thank you so much for trying!" The girl grinned.

"Anytime Kate." Alison smiled. "You two should really fight less."

"Well it's not my fault Tyler's an idiot."

"We've been dating for two years, you'd think you'd remember this by now." Tyler rolled his eyes.

Did you get all that? Alison called out in her thoughts as she waved her friends off and headed towards her first class.

I would love to play, but there's the matter of my magic coming off on my music. Kira explained. I have no control over it. The last thing I want to do is hypnotize everyone in the club.

True. Maybe you can wear a seal just for the song? Alison offered.

I suppose it could work.

Maybe Veronica will have a better idea though. We can ask her at lunch.

Sure.

---

"I could maybe create a barrier around her that'll filter out her music." Veronica noted, touching her hand to her chin as she was in thought. "But I'm sure your magic would be more powerful than a simple barrier that I could hold. Maybe I could ask my parents to help."

"Are you sure they wouldn't mind?" Kira questioned. "I mean, I could just not play."

"If you don't play it's going to ruin a lot of people's time." Alison offered. "They didn't expect for Hannah to get hurt."

"Still, it might be too much trouble." Kira looked guilty.

"It's strange though, I've never heard of vampire who uses music to hypnotize people." Drake noted as he stared down into his sandwich.