Chapter 41

As Alison and Kira were returning to the castle, they paused as a small group of young men and woman exited through the door. Alison reconized a few scents, slightly different but familiar nonetheless. She couldn't help but stare at them as they walked past them, bowing respectively at them as they did. Kira returned the bows with gentle smiles, but Alison just stared.

The last person to leave was a very familiar looking man. His beard and hair were frazzled a bit, but they were trimmed and cared for. His expression was stirn, but his eyes showed a familiar kindness that Alison knew all to well. Her body reacted before Kira had a chance to look back at her, and the young wolf sprinted towards him and nearly took the man off his feet with a hug.

"Alison!" Kira called from behind her. Alison could hear the vampire jogging up behind her, but she buried her face in the man's chest as tears began spilling from her eyes.

"Luna, what's wrong?" The man asked, then paused, glancing up at Kira's soft smile.

"Haiken. This isn't Luna." Kira explained.

Haiken's expression twisted to confusion before he looked down at the woman in his arms just as Alison leaned back and looked up at his face, the tears streaming down her face.

He reached forward, gently touching his palm to Alison's cheek as his eyes began to cloud over in his own tears.

"Hi dad." Alison practically whimpered, her voice cracking.

"Alison. I thought... I didn't know you were here. I would have found you sooner, I'm so sorry." Haiken answered, his other hand coming up to Alison's other cheek, effectively holding her in front of  himself, as if to make sure she was real.

He looked like time was mostly kind to him. Though he did have a lot of wrinkles, and his hair was mostly gray, but he was still built like a warrior.

Alison reached up with her own hands, cupping his against her face as she closed her eyes tightly, letting more tears flow like even she thought she was dreaming. "I'm so sorry Dad. Kira told me the pack was here but I was so overwelmed with everything else I didn't think to come looking."

"We're blaming ourselves now?" Haiken laughed through his tears, leaning forward to rest his forehead against Alison's. "Let's agree not to, and just be grateful we're together now."

"Okay." Alison nodded. She heard a few sniffles from the other people beside them who were clearly watching. As Alison leaned her head back without letting her father release her, she looked over at the other wolves with a soft smile. "Sorry for taking your teacher away from you."

"Don't worry about it."

"It's okay."

"It's fine."

"Be happy."

They all spoke in unison, with soft smiles on their faces.

"We've never seen him cry before. It's nice to know he has emotions." Said one of the older boys.

Haiken leaned back, releasing Alison's face and wiping the tears off his face. "Just for that I'm going to work you guys even harder."

They chuckled in response, clearly calling his bluff, but Alison smiled. "I think you should Dad. After all, I'm living in the castle now. Plus, I'm going to need some training myself."

The other wolves seemed to realize that they might be in a spot of trouble, and when Kira smirked herself, they turned and sprinted towards the river.

Alison looked back up at her father. "You think you're still a good enough teacher to train the next Pureblood Werewolf?"

"If I did it once, I can do it again." Haiken answered.