Chapter 42

Kira helped Alison back into the castle with a satisfied smirk on her face. She had spent the last few hours effectively beating the everloving crap out of her mate, and for some reason it left her with a sense of accomplisment.

Alison on the other hand, felt like she had been put through a blender. She had returned several of Kira's blows with force, and the vampire even had a broken rib or two and a black eye to show for it. But while Alison could barely stand Kira didn't seem bothered at all.

Kira brought Alison back to the Fairy Garden, and helped her into the pond. By now the party had been over and Alice and Sarah were seated on a large rock just off to the side of the waterfall. They watched as Kira and Alison exchanged banter and laughed with each other, before Kira pushed the werewolf into the water.

Alison sat up and shook her head. "Rude!"

"The water heals." Kira answered before falling backwards herself into the shallow water. Alison made her way over laying next to her and staring up at the darkness above them, lit only by several trees that seemed to grow into a void.

"How do you feel?" Kira asked.

"It's pleasant. Like a hot spring bath." Alison answered.

A few fairies flew overhead, hovering over them curiously before flying off to do whever they wanted. A few buzzed around Alice and Sarah, but the two didn't speak, just overlooked the pond and watched with knowing smiles at the vampire and werewolf couple below them. They knew that they had not yet realized they were here, and didn't want to ruin any moments they might share.

They wanted to know what true love really looked like, even if the two of them didn't want to admit it yet. They wanted to know what it would be like to completely give yourself over to your mate.

"Kira?"

"Hmm?"

"Thank you for bringing me here."

"Well I wasn't going to let you suffer after being the one to actually hurt you." Kira noted, turning her head a bit to look at Alison without actually putting her face underwater.

Alison chuckled. "No. I meant, for bringing me to the castle. For bringing me home. I got to see my parents again, and see Veronica happier than she's ever been in her life."

"Of course." Kira smiled.

"I got to see you again. To be with you again." Alison gently reached over, her hand still underwater as she touched the side of Kira's face, running her thumb over the bruised skin of her eye socket. "Even if I did punch you in the face."

Kira answered by tilting that side of her face underwater for a short second, and almost instantly the bruise began to fade as she smiled back at Alison. "I love you." Kira stated.

"I love you too."

Kira looked up at the trees above them, a look of nervousness taking hold of her expression before she regained her confidence. She rolled so she was straddling the werewolf, looking down on her with a look of pure determination. "Alison."

"Kira? Are you okay?"

"Will you marry me?" Kira asked.

Alison blinked up at her curiously. "Don't immortals not really care about that sort of thing?"

"That's not the answer I was expecting." Kira narrowed her eyes.

Alison chuckled. "Kira, we're meant to be. Of course I'll marry you."

"Really!?"

"Yes fang face, of course."

The childlike smile that spread across Kira's face made everything worth it. All the struggle and pain they'd ever experience faded away into the background as she looked up at the vampire's expression of pure joy.