Chapter 23

Alison glanced out from the edge of the stage and smiled at the crowd cheering for the school's band. She then turned and faced Kira, who was tuning and testing her violin.

She hopped down the steps and made her way over and touched the vampire's shoulder getting her to snap out of her concentration and smile lovingly at her girlfriend.

"You ready?" Alison asked.

"It's been a while since I performed, but I'm excited none the less." Kira explained.

Not too long, considering I used to sneak out to play in small towns.

"I won't tell your mother." Alison smiled.

Kira blinked before blushing. "You'd think I'd be used to that by now."

"I know I'm not. You know all the songs right?" Alison asked.

"Indeed. I'll do a solo, then I'll perform with the band. The song they have is a Celtic jig, and I'm rather excited to see how it goes."

"Katrina and Veronica have the barrier ready." Alison smiled, taking Kira's hand and slipping the seal over her finger. "It's going to be perfect."

"I know. I am a professional." Kira grinned. The vampire leaned forward and gave the werewolf a happy kiss.

Drake cleared his throat from behind them and they turned to look at him curiously. "You should head up there and get set up."

"I agree." Kira smiled. "I wouldn't want to get distracted before performing."

Alison rolled her eyes and motioned for Kira to go. Kira grinned and made her way up, just as the song the band was playing hit it's climax.

"I'm really surprised she's doing this. She doesn't seem like the kind of person who wants the attention." Drake noted.

Alison crossed her arms over her chest with a grin. "She's not doing it for attention. She's doing it for charity, and because it means a lot to everyone already on that stage."

"I guess." Drake smiled. "You two do well together."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"You balance each other out. She keeps you grounded in reality, and you keep her from brooding." He explained.

"I thought you were gonna say we just look good together."

"That's what my brother thinks." Drake sighed.

"Well, your brother is an idiot." Alison laughed.

"I have to agree with you there."

Alison touched his shoulder as she walked by, and climbed the steps to the stage to look out and watch her girlfriend sitting on a stool in the front center of the stage as she tuned her violin a bit more. The vampire glanced over her shoulder and smirked at Alison, who gave her a little wave.

Worried about me? Came Kira's thoughts.

Not at all. I have faith in you.

Glad to hear it. Kira turned back to the crowd before setting the violin to her chin and closed her eyes just as the band finished their song. The crowd cheered loudly, before a short silence as the light came on above Kira's head, making her appear to be the only one on the stage.

Alison thought the silence was Kira starting to panic, and she almost reached out in thought before the first note vibrated across the entire room.

For a moment Alison's heart dropped, thinking that her magic had broken free, but she quickly realized that wasn't the case. Instead she smiled as Kira played her melancholy tune before allowing it to become more of a faster paced happy song effortlessly, like she was easily able to glide between songs. The crowd stared in bewildered amazement, shocked that such an incredibly talented violinist could be so young.