[ 7 ]

"Avocado toast and black coffee, please," Daniel said, smiling at the waiter.

"Such a basic thing to order," Narco muttered slyly.

"Excuse me, avocado and toast is truly great." Daniel said, acting as if he was stabbed. "Not everyone likes pancakes swimming in syrup for breakfast." The blond defended, and Narco snorted.

"They're missing out," Narco remarked as he ordered pancakes for himself. They both grinned at their little dialogue.

They had just met a few minutes ago but they were getting along well. Narco knew that the blue-eyed man was Lewis' manager before his friend. They discussed their daily lives and exchanged childhood stories as they waited for breakfast. It always irritated Narco how much of his childhood he didn't remember. His sister always filled the blanks, cemented holes and stopped him from asking too many questions.

"I don't think Lewis would tell you this but," Daniel paused, toying with the salt shakers while he stared with an intense gaze.

"What?" Narco softly asked, glancing at the man in front of him in curiosity.

"He—" He groaned as he clenched his fists and unclenched it moments later.

Narco was curious about what the man had to say about Lewis. Something told him it was not so great.

"Well," He started and cleared his throat. "His deceased ex-wife, well, abused him pretty badly. Her name was Elese," Daniel fiddled with his thumbs and ran fingers through his hair. Narco nodded, his brown hair falling from its place.

"Did she... um, sexually abuse him?" Narco timidly asked as he stared at the black wooden table, thoughts about yesterday swirling around his head.

Daniel gave a weird look but nodded. Narco thanked the blond silently for not asking anything awkward. "She killed herself before the police reached her." He bitterly said and sat up straight when the waiter arrived with their food. Both of them smiled politely at the waiter before resuming their conversation.

"You know," Daniel started, inhaling the breakfast's warm smell. "Lewis is a very secretive person. He didn't open up to me even after a year of our friendship. He likes to mask his feelings and... he's usually reluctant to talk at all."

Silence hung in the air as they both ate quietly.

"I approve," Daniel said after he gulped his coffee. Narco confusedly stared at the man, which made him smile.

"What?"

"Nothing!" The blond declared as he continued eating, ignoring the glances Narco threw at him. "So... are we going to pick up Lewis and Rose?" Daniel asked as he paid the bill and stood up. The brown-haired man nodded and followed.

"He also gets really irritated and icky when someone talks about Elese and Sam, the babysitter." Daniel said as they both approached the car. Narco made a mental note, nodding.

The drive was silent as they picked up Rose and Lewis. Rose was pale like Lewis but had blue, round eyes that were nothing like her father's. It reminded him of endless seas, tides rising to wash everything away. Splinters of darkness like sedimentary rocks touched her wide pupils.

"Papa! Who's this?" She bounced on her seat and made direct eye contact with Narco while her father buckled her up.

"That's my friend Narco. Say hi, Sweetheart," He chirped as he leaned back on his seat.

"Hi!" She sang in the sweetest voice ever, making him smile.

"Look what uncle's got for you!" Daniel grinned and pulled out a handful of sweets from his pockets. Rose giggled as she reached forward to grab the candy.