[ 18 ]

"Oh, come on, I need to bring Rose home!" Lewis whined, tugging on the stubborn man hugging the couch.

"Whyyy," Narco groaned, detaching from the couch and dragging his body behind Lewis. His brown hair was messed up and his shirt was wrinkled. "Ugh,"

Narco continued to groan until they reached the school. Lewis left to bring Rose to the car while he sluggishly sat in the backseat.

"Hi, Narco!" Rose greeted as she sat down beside him.

"Heyyyyy!" Narco drew out, fastening the seat belt around her.

Rose told everything that had happened and the two adults just hummed along. Narco interrupted to ask inane questions every now and then, making Rose giddy.

"And she gave us stars." Rose finished her long spoken diary and looked at her father. "You're not paying attention, are you?" She asked, pouting and crossing her arms.

"Hmm," Lewis nodded which made Narco chuckle and Rose angry. She didn't speak at all after exchanging angry glares with her father. Narco was just smiling like a fool when Lewis realized his mistake and apologized to Rose. He looked out the window with a small, carefree grin.

The sky was turning orange, clouds spread like marmalade, birds flying back home. Yellow transitioned into orange which mixed with violet, the blend seamless. Tall buildings started to appear — a sign that they were near.

"We're here," Lewis announced, halting the car in the driveway.

The three got out. Narco adjusted his shirt and followed Rose inside.

"Where is Sammy?" Rose questioned, her blue eyes blinking towards Lewis.

"She's sick today, Sweetheart," Lewis muttered before telling Rose to get changed.

The two entered the kitchen. Lewis grabbed ingredients from various cabinets. He was going to make an omelette with toasted bread.

"Can you c-cut the onions, please?" Lewis asked, cursing after his stutter.

Narco did as he was asked. He knew something was wrong. He stared at the man shuffling and jumping from place to place in the kitchen as he mixed the vegetables with the eggs before pouring it into the heated pan. Ropes and chains and knives. He groaned internally, cursing his stupidity.

"Flower, come down!" Lewis called as he arranged the plates, and served the piping hot food. Little footsteps were heard soon after Lewis finished setting up.

They sat down; Rose next to Narco, and Lewis across from the two. A single chair was unoccupied, nobody sat there, Narco noticed.

"You know, papa talks so much about you!" Rose piped, stuffing her mouth with toast after. Narco smugly smiled, looking at the flustered man across him and shooting a wink.

"Mhm, what kind of things?" Narco innocently asked, making the pink-cheeked man a cherry color.

"How much he gets inspired and how much he loves you and how much he misses you and—"

"That's enough," Lewis coughed, staring at his almost empty plate. Rose snickered with Narco and they both laughed about how Lewis looked like a tomato.

The two were having fun joking around and annoying Lewis to no end. They were giggling, laughing, coughing, teasing throughout the meal. Lewis was annoyed but couldn't help smiling at the bond forming between the two. Rose was difficult with social interaction, but Narco was warm and welcoming. It made him a little jealous but he was proud of his daughter.

Lewis didn't feel like doing the dishes so he left it in the sink.

"I'm done!" Rose cheered from the living room as she closed her books and shoved them into her bag.