[ 28 ]

TW : Eating Disorder

Lewis sat in a secluded booth. He hadn't checked his phone or texts due to nervousness and the hundreds of butterflies that fluttered around. It felt weird to feel those emotions after years. If he had wondered that he was faking the feelings, it was run over by the wild zoo in his stomach.

He sipped on water, folding his arms over the table, and waited for Narco. He looked around nervously.

"Would you like to order, Sir?" The waitress gave a glare and scowled at the silent man. It had been over half an hour, he came to realize.

"Oh, uh, a chicken sandwich would be enough." Lewis faltered underneath the hard gaze. She jotted the order down and walked away. He shouldn't have ordered something. He should have waited for Narco. Guilt gnawed on his mind as he pulled his phone out.

He stared at the bright screen as he read the text over and over.

I can't come to dinner x
Love you lots xxx

Lewis stared out of the window. His eyebrows furrowed at the similar looking face with an unknown person.

Ay, Lew
We have work to do. Come home.

Lewis swiped the text away and observed the two men laughing with each other. The same brown locks and tan skin. The same honey eyes. But with another man who was not him. When they were supposed to be eating, right here in this fucking street, in this fucking restaurant, in this fucking table.

The fluttering in his stomach stopped, the hoard of butterflies feeling like lead, seeping cold dread into his veins. He felt awful, like the day he had promised to make their relationship work, even if it was one-sided. He felt the shock of realization, like the day he understood he was nothing. Replaceable. Unwanted.

The black-haired man rushed to the counter with his cold sandwich.

"Um, sorry to bother you but could you please wrap it for me?" He asked the girl, who was busy blowing hair out of her face.

"Sure," She rolled her eyes and went inside. She returned with the packaged food and a smile that was faker than plastic. "That'll cost you an extra five,"

Lewis pulled out the money and handed it to the cashier, grabbing the package, and rushed out of the small restaurant. He bit his lip, trying not to shake and cry in front of people.

Repress your emotions, dear. They do no good. He repeated the string of words until he was in front of his house.

He unlocked the door and stepped in, immediately inhaling familiar air.

Daniel was sitting and working on his laptop, with Rose craning her neck to look at the glowing screen.

"Papa!" She exclaimed when she saw the door open.

"Lew," Daniel whispered, hastily putting his laptop away and standing up.

"Stop." Lewis ordered as he shrugged his jacket off and threw it on the couch. "You can cook, right? Make dinner for Rose and you can leave if you want."

"Of course I'm staying, Lew. You're worrying me," Daniel said as he looked at the red-eyed man.

"Fine," Lewis grit his teeth and pushed past Daniel to get to his room.

"Pa?" Rose asked from her seat. She could sense that something was wrong. Very wrong.

"Pa's tired, Sweets," He said. Rose frowned, her suspicion confirmed. Lewis never called her 'sweets' except when it was bad bad. She opened her mouth to speak but was interrupted. "Daniel." Lewis growled after stopping at the bedroom door. His stern voice made Daniel understand that he didn't want to talk. He couldn't help but worry.