[ 14 ]

TW : Homophobia

It was a fine Monday afternoon. Lewis was going to tell his parents and had received the best of luck from Samantha and Narco.

He parked his car and got out, immediately hoping he could turn back but he was committed.

"No, no, no, no," Lewis chanted under his breath as he entered the restaurant, quick to feel people's eyes on him. He searched for table number five, hoping his parents would be late or not show up at all.

Unfortunately, his parents glared at him from their table. He made his way through the vacant chairs.

"Hello, Lewis," Evelyn's condescending tone greeted the man that had seated himself across the two.

"Hello, father," Lewis ignored the dirty glare his mother had thrown, instead, gave a tight lipped smile to the wrinkled man.

"Do not ignore your mother, Lewis! Is this what I've taught you?!" She shouted, drawing attention. It was as if she lived for attention, even at the cost of her own humility.

"You didn't teach me anything." Lewis calmly responded, glaring at the blue-eyed lady.

The tension awakened with any movement. Lewis was already hating this, hands clammy when he looked at his phone. He couldn't eat with a turning stomach and he didn't intend to.

"Why did you call us?" Evelyn coldly asked, twisting her face in distaste.

Lewis gulped, feeling himself shrinking under the scrutiny. "I'm bisexual. Attracted to men and women." He blurted, hiding behind the menu. He wished to be swallowed whole.

"So?" Evelyn said, turning her face away from him and to her food.

Lewis stared at the letters, mouth slack. He didn't expect such a small response. Rather, he thought his mother would drag him outside and beat him. He looked up from the engrossing menu to his mother and only saw the calm blue. Maybe she didn't know what it meant, and Lewis wasn't sure he wanted to drop the other shoe.

"I also have a boyfriend..." Lewis timidly said. He gouged her reaction. The old couple looked at him like they were shot. The calm blue of his mother's eyes were turning chaotic and dread coiled in his stomach. Her mouth was twitching and her eyes were cold.

This was such a bad fucking idea. Fuck. He cursed at himself, looking at his father for help.

But his father, Francis, was not going to speak. If Francis spoke, Evelyn would get angry. He knew. They knew.

"WHAT?!" She was livid. Her fist slammed on the table, making cutlery tremble in her fury. She demanded an answer, glass eyes cutting through his resolve.

"I said... I— I'm bisexual and I have a boyfriend." He was cowering and he didn't like it. The composed sea was turning into a tsunami.

"First Elese kills herself. Now, you say you have a boyfriend. No wonder the poor girl killed herself!" Evelyn was shouting and drawing all sorts of unwanted attention.

"Calm down," Lewis said through gritted teeth. His fear was quickly disintegrating into anger.

"You probably cheated on her with Samantha then that boyfriend of yours! Elese should have killed you and Rose, too! Would have saved me from this disgrace!"

"Shut. Up." Lewis ground out, jabbing a finger at her, "You don't know anything about Rose, leave her out of this." He stood up, not wanting to hear any more of her horrible words. They were burrowing into his head, he could feel the hooks attaching to his skin, ready to tear him apart till only bones remained.