[ 16 ]

"I'm supposed to enjoy the party, not help you!" Jack groaned while he chopped up onions and tomatoes.

"Will you keep quiet? You've been groaning since you came. Also, somebody is sleeping," Katie hissed at the pale man.

"Not anymore." Narco jerked his head to the bedroom. Everybody went silent as Lewis appeared, yawning, with ruffled hair.

Lewis looked up to see why it was so quiet.

"Hello...?" Lewis shyly smiled at the woman next to Jack. Narco snapped out of his daze and dropped his utensils.

"Lewis, this is Katie, my best friend since college. Katie, this is Lewis, my... uh—"

"Boyfriend," Lewis casually supplied, which made the latter burst into flames.

"Y-Yeah," Narco ducked his head, resuming his cooking as they laughed at his reaction.

Lewis approached the kitchen, a hand in his pant's pocket. His body swayed with each step. Narco tried to focus on cooking but his eyes strayed to look, charmed by the casual seductiveness Lewis emanated.

"What are you making?" He questioned, leaning over the pot to see.

"Salsa, chicken wings, and I don't know." Narco muttered, definitely not eyeing the small curve in Lewis' back.

"So tell me, Narco's boyfriend, how did you meet him?" Katie asked, amused by the two awkward men. She winked at Narco, making him turn several shades of red.

"I... was in a bookstore but he was standing right in front of the shelf, so I asked him to pass me the book. He asked me for c-coffee later." Lewis summarized, shifting his eyes away from Katie's electric blue ones. He awkwardly stood besides Jack, not knowing what to do or say.

"Are you gay, too?" Jack asked, looking up from cutting the onions, eyes burning red. It made him flinch internally.

"No. I'm bi," Lewis replied although his tone carried an unconvincing note. The what if's slithered out and he had to slam the lid down before he had an existential crisis.

Jack faintly smiled, rubbing his eyes. "Me too," He gave a nod, happy to know someone like him.

Lewis almost gave into the urge of questioning the man, only restrained by the glinting knife. He smiled as he stepped away and joined Katie again.

"So, lover boy, first impressions?" She asked, turning to observe him.

Lewis immediately dragged his eyes to the floor, ruffling his hair. "Well... I thought he was very forward. Um,"

Katie shook her head, a chuckle escaping her upturned lips. Lewis joined in, much more hesitant and stiff than her.

They talked about children, cooking, and books. Lewis could see himself being good friends with her. So much to talk about but not enough time. It always slipped through his fingers, leaving him empty-handed with the desire for more; to turn it back and fix every little mistake. Yet, it always ran away. Perhaps it sensed his desperation, his mistakes.

"You both are of no help," Narco complained, sighing as he turned the stove off, leaning against the counter.

"I'm sorry that you didn't let me do anything." Katie rolled her eyes, making Lewis snort. Narco groaned, shoving her gently.

"It's already three. I know Alex will be early to be with you." Narco looked at her. She nodded and caught an apple thrown by Jack. He shook his head, a fond smile on his lips, and grabbed the bowl filled with chopped vegetables.

He threw it into a pot with tomato purée.

"You three can rest. I'll make the salsa and the snacks." Narco blankly said, stirring the pot and lighting the stove.