[ 9 ]

"Do you remember last night?" Lewis was leaning against the dining table, jaw clenched with memories afresh.

"Yes." Replied Narco bitterly. Heavy silence lingered in the air, tension filled the room.

The tension seemed to stretch with any movement they made. It was six in the morning. The pale man took a deep breath and ran fingers through his hair.

"You were out of line." Lewis spat, gulping the lump in his throat.

"Look," Lewis said, his eyes looking straight at Narco. "I see you have clear interest in me and I'm sorry if I led you on, but I am sure I'm straight and don't have any interest in you."

"I figured that out, thanks. I'm sorry for doing— kissing you. It was unwarranted. I'll leave if that's what you want." Narco muttered and put his mug down harsher than intended.

They both took a sharp breath. None of them moved. Narco wished he had heard even a little whisper from the man. Just one word; stay.

However, when Narco turned back, he didn't hear a sliver of noise. He was sure they both heard his heart break and shatter into millions of pieces.

"I'll just... leave..." His voice cracked as he walked past the heartbreaker and out the door.

Lewis collapsed on the floor, back leaning against the chair's legs. He took his phone out of his pocket and dialed the only number that came to mind. Daniel.

"Hey! I can hear you brooding from here! What's wrong?" He asked, happiness shifting to concern.

"I don't even fucking know. Can you come right now? Please?" Lewis' voice made Daniel even more concerned, but the line was dead before more questions could be asked.

Narco was hesitant to move from his spot on the ground, afraid that the slightest of movement would make it swallow him whole. It wasn't the worst idea, he mused. He pulled his phone out and decided to call Katie. He sucked in a lot of air. The call was picked up moments later.

"Hey, Kat, can you come over? Just need a shoulder to cry on." He was surprised by the steadiness of his voice. She agreed with a hint of worry and pity in her voice. He hung up and traveled to the bar to get his car, then drove to his apartment.

Narco arranged everything and tidied his room before Katie could arrive. The seams of his heart couldn't be torn apart if he kept himself busy. He arranged his paints under his bed and the easel in the very corner. Everything was neat and tidy except for that one spot on the couch. It hurt him to see it every time he moved past the couch and to the kitchen.

The doorbell rang. Narco jumped up from the couch and opened the door.

Katie was holding a bag filled with chips and soda, and her other hand held a tub of ice cream. She grinned, blue eyes hidden by her brown bangs.

"Move away," She said, shimming past him to enter the house, and went straight to the kitchen.

"Rough day, hun? Thought you'd want— no, need this." She corrected herself, placing the ice-cream in the freezer. Narco was glad he had found a friend that understood. "Sit down, choose a movie while I prepare the chips." Katie said and started pouring out condiments in a small bowl and laid the food in front of Narco.

Minutes later, Narco was being cradled in Katie's arms while he sobbed quietly and wiped his tears frequently. His lips were covered in ice-cream, watching the movie intently. He had said everything he wanted to say in mere seconds and Katie understood him completely. At least she pretended to because he couldn't even understand what he was saying.

"If you want to say something to him, then do so. From what you've told me, he seems afraid and fragile because of his past. Give him time and space, then maybe he'll open up and you can try. Or move on, darling. You can't cry everyday," She ran her brown fingers through his hair, rubbing his arms in an attempt to comfort.

There was a moment of silence as they both looked at each other with slight smiles. Narco's dimmed a little when he mulled things over.

"He doesn't want me near him, Kat. He's not even into me, not even gay or bi or pan!" Narco gave a sigh and returned back to his sulking self.

With a huff of annoyance, she glared at him. "I saw the way he looked at you at the gallery. Say what he will, the heart wants what it wants,"

"You and your corny lines," Narco rolled his eyes dramatically. The two burst out into laughter, and they kept on adding new things, laughing until they were crying.

Meanwhile, Daniel was helping Lewis make breakfast.

"Rose, we are going to be late!" Lewis shouted from the dining table, everything laid out. Hurried footsteps came from the stairs as the little ray of sunshine ran to her chair and sat down, grabbing the sandwich and shoving it into her mouth.

"Hey, slow down," Daniel patted her head, earning a burning glare from Rose. Lewis was busy arranging her bag.

"Done!" Rose shouted and ran to the sink to wash her mouth. She ran to the front where her shoes were, and picked a pair of black ones.

"Lets go!" She sang and gestured to Lewis to come. The two men went outside, Rose was already running towards the car. They followed the girl and Daniel helped Rose put the seatbelt on, then slid to the passenger seat next to Lewis.

"Be good," Lewis said to his daughter, who was already running to school with a broad smile.

The table was silent as the two men exchanged glances.

"Why'd you call me?" The blond finally asked, fed up of the shifty eyes. Lewis didn't know how to answer. "Tell me," The grey-eyed man said with a frustrated sigh.

"I just— Narco."

That single word made Daniel understand everything. He motioned to the couch and Lewis followed reluctantly.

"What happened this morning?" Daniel made himself comfortable on the couch, propping legs on the table even though Lewis glared at it.

Lewis described everything from the night to the morning with excessive flailing of hands. Silence lingered between them as Daniel processed the information.

"You want him back, don't you?" The blond asked, hoping for a yes.

"I don't know! I just... don't know!" Lewis cried in despair, looking away from the pitiful glance Daniel gave him.

"You should open up to him and build trust. And I know—" He added before Lewis could interrupt, "—it's hard. Sometimes, you just need to trust yourself and take a leap. Take your time but don't waste it."

The black-haired man nodded, eyes shadowed with seriousness. Daniel smiled. Lewis turned to look at him with curiosity and confusion.

"Narco has an art exhibition in a week or so. I'll ask for tickets and you can go on a little date later." Daniel smirked with contentment when Lewis blushed.

Lewis desperately protested against the idea, positive that it just wouldn't work! But Daniel was tired of Lewis' bullshit so he grabbed his phone and called Narco.

"Can I get two tickets for the exhibition, the one next week? I'll pay you for the tickets."

"Yeah, yeah. Thanks, man!" The call ended and Daniel's smile brightened. Lewis swore he saw the devil shining in his eyes.

"Prepare your outfit! You have four days!" Daniel exclaimed as he stood up. He decided to return home after lecturing Lewis about emails and documents and deadlines.

"How did you even know about—"

"Give Narco a call. You won't regret it!" He shouted as he went out the door. Lewis muttered an annoyed goodbye.