[ 35 ]

TW : Homophobia

Lewis tapped his foot, looking at the bright red light turning green.

"Seriously?" He heard Narco groan as a car came out of nowhere. Lewis looked out the window, eyes flitting past buildings. He would rather die than meet his parents.

Lewis was quiet and secluded, not trusting himself to speak. He thought about all the possibilities; them making a scene and all the eyes that would be on him. Being the center of attention was never good for him. His hands were shaking violently, and Narco glanced at him throughout the whole drive.

All the people whispering about him, looking at him, scathing at him, judging him. Not knowing what people were saying or talking about grinded him raw to the bone. His anxiety was blossoming under the negative thoughts, sly whispers, muffled chuckles, disapproving looks. He was going mad.

"Here," Narco softly said, snapping the nervous man from his thoughts. Lewis blinked, tersely nodded, and took a deep breath.

"It's going to be okay, Sunshine. I won't let them hurt you." Narco reassured the jittery man. Firm hands engulfed his small ones and caressed them lovingly. For a moment, he forgot his worries, only to be reminded with a sharp pain in his head.

"It's okay, Lewis. You'll be fine. We'll be fine." Narco firmly said, smiling, and the writer gave a faltering smile of his own. He didn't know why, but the use of his name made him believe the lies.

"Y-Yeah... they're my parents."

Narco looked like he wanted to disagree but stayed quiet at the look on Lewis' face. Hopeful, determined, fierce. He got out of the car and Lewis followed suit.

Narco had reassured Lewis, but he didn't know what would happen. He didn't know what to do if Lewis had a panic attack. He didn't know how he would handle that. He just hoped that everything would go smoothly but he knew that was a fairy tale. The fear and anxiety he had felt while telling his friends renewed itself. How much he had wished there was somebody to hold him, to tell him he was normal, tell him his friends would be accepting, tell him how much they loved him.

On impulse, he took Lewis' hands in his own, lacing their fingers and pulling the scared man closer to him. Narco leaned down and gave a peck on Lewis' forehead before guiding the man inside the restaurant. He could only hope that had provided comfort to his lover.

"That's them, isn't it?" Narco whispered as he looked at Lewis, who frowned and nodded. They walked towards the elderly couple, backs turned against them.

"Hello, Mrs. and Mr. Waltz," Narco interrupted the lady busy talking about her lovely dress. It looked gaudy, in his very humble and not at all biased opinion. A pretty dress could only do so much to hide the ugliness within.

The elderly woman glared at the man who had dared to interrupt her. Narco mentally rolled his eyes heavenward. She looked like she would be racist and he didn't want to deal with that.

Lewis gently tugged on Narco's hand, warning him not to provoke her.

"Who are you, dear?" She innocently asked, voice brittle and laced with irritation. She didn't even acknowledge her son.

"I'm Narco Evans. Your son's boyfriend." Narco smiled at her, his eyes burning with hatred, forcing his lips to turn up.

"Ah, yes, my faggot son." She frowned, her wrinkly skin making her look like a pug. Narco's eyes lost all the warmth, replaced by icy coldness and flaming hatred. He hated that word. He hated that fucking word.

Lewis clenched his fists as he glared at his mother.

"Take a seat," She motioned towards the two empty seats. Lewis slid in first so that he didn't have to face Evelyn. "Why has faggot come to meet me, I wonder," She was over dramatic. And it made Narco's blood boil. Every word she said made him want to strangle her to death. Now, he wasn't a violent person, but if somebody asked him to rip her tongue off and stitch it back to rip it off again for a million dollars, he'd do it for free.